• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

In Search of - DOS Menuu Program

bettablue

Veteran Member
Back in the late 1980's to early 1990's I bought a used Packard Bell computer that came with DOS 3.3 installed. There was a program I think was called "Menu Works" installed on the computers hard disc. The menu program allowed the user to make program "Groups", and would allow the use of shortcuts in viewable frames. To open a specific program, all you had to do was select the program using either the directional pointer keys on the keyboard till the program was highlighted, or with the use of a mouse, one could actually run the computer much the same as running in Windows 3.1, albeit with no icons. Everything was still text based. Adding a program to a particular frame, or program group was really quite easy.

Now that I have several IBM computers running DOS 3.3 to DOS 6.22, I am looking for that program. From what I remember, the program didn't take up much memory, but I could very well be mistaken. Still, if someone could point me to where I can get a copy of the program, or possibly get me a copy I would be completely thrilled!

Thanks much.

And you'll find MenuWorks 2.10 on vetusware (just google "vetusware menu works" etc)

Another one that might be worth trying is Direct Access 5.1. I've been using it since the early 90's and still keep it on almost all of my PCs. It's very tidy.

Thomas,

I use DA or Direct Access. Give me a day or so and I'll get it out to you. Great menu program - little or no 'learning curve'.

OK, now I P'd off! Registering, or resetting a password on Vetusware really is a pain in the Royal ASS! Their Captcha has got to be experienced to be truly over appreciated. I've tried at least 20 times to get past the Captcha BS with the same exact result. It won't let me pass! So, unless I have direct access to download, or it can be located somewhere else, I'm going to let it stay at Vetusware. I could say a lot more about my dealings with Captcha. But, I'll be nice.

Sorry to sound so unappreciative. I truly do thank you for pointing me to the software I'm looking for. And yes, I have logged onto Vetusware previously, but seriously, they could do with a much better solution for resetting a password!

Thanks for pointing me to the software though. I'll see if I can locate it somewhere else.

And, AO, I'll keep my eyes open for the DA program you mentioned. That sounds interesting too.

And you'll find MenuWorks 2.10 on vetusware (just google "vetusware menu works" etc)

Another one that might be worth trying is Direct Access 5.1. I've been using it since the early 90's and still keep it on almost all of my PCs. It's very tidy.

DA was quite widely used in our Defence Dept. There should be a quite a few other dos menu programs, both free, shareware and commercial with a similar layout as MW.

OK, now I P'd off! Registering, or resetting a password on Vetusware really is a pain in the Royal ASS! Their Captcha has got to be experienced to be truly over appreciated. I've tried at least 20 times to get past the Captcha BS with the same exact result. It won't let me pass! So, unless I have direct access to download, or it can be located somewhere else, I'm going to let it stay at Vetusware. I could say a lot more about my dealings with Captcha. But, I'll be nice.

Sorry to sound so unappreciative. I truly do thank you for pointing me to the software I'm looking for. And yes, I have logged onto Vetusware previously, but seriously, they could do with a much better solution for resetting a password!

Thanks for pointing me to the software though. I'll see if I can locate it somewhere else.

And, AO, I'll keep my eyes open for the DA program you mentioned. That sounds interesting too.

lol yes - it's horrifying at times. What's better is when the download fails and it still counts towards your daily maximum. I pointed there because (despite being a pain in the ass) it's free and you can grab some obscure titles that many people may not list on a generic site. If you can get past the captcha, there is lots of good stuff.

Sounds like Agent Orange has a copy of DA for you - I do recommend it!

Back