• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Harddrive recognition

zebdooley

My Bios recognizes an extra HD but ME doesn't adding hardware has no effect. My goal was to clone a drive, THANKs

The extra drive is an 20gb IDE The copy program was HD Copy , Windows Millennium is the operating system
The motherboard is an American Megatrends with a 400mhz Celeron. When I click on My Computer no extra
drive is shown, but it shows up in the Bios

Are you sure that board (BIOS) supports Int13h extensions? If you're not sure you can try a drive of 8GB or less and if it's fully recognized then it's likely your BIOS is too old for any drive over 8GB.

The bios sees it as 20gb
The CMOS sees it as 20GB. You are making an assumption here. Just because the CMOS or BIOS can recognize the full size of a drive does not mean that it can correctly do the necessary translation to support it. Try configuring this 20GB drive with 1024 256 63 C/H/S. If it (ME) can see it as an 8GB drive then your BIOS is too old to support the full drive.

The CMOS sees it as 20GB. You are making an assumption here. Just because the CMOS or BIOS can recognize the full size of a drive does not mean that it can correctly do the necessary translation to support it. Try configuring this 20GB drive with 1024 256 63 C/H/S. If it (ME) can see it as an 8GB drive then your BIOS is too old to support the full drive.

Remove your original HD completely from your system and substitute your new 20 GB HD in its place. Ensure that you have selected MASTER or CS. POST your system and check the BIOS info then proceed to full boot with a system floppy. Assuming your new HD is formatted, attempt to copy a batch or text file and see what happens. If you can open and read the batch or text file you have eliminated the drive as a source of the problem. If your BIOS sees both drives and ME doesn't you have a problem with ME. IIRC, this was a semi-common problem back in the day. I would go to the control panel and click on "Install new hardware" and/or look at Device Manager and click on the new hardware search tab.

Also if that 20Gb drive was formatted/partitioned as NTFS or similar - I don't think Windows Me will put it in My Computer and I'm not sure if Add New Hardware does anything for hard drives?
I'd expect you'd likely need to partition/format it. If you're trying to duplicate the boot drive, I'd also recommend a proper clone tool - like Norton Ghost or similar, rather than just copying files in Me.

I don't know much about Me, I avoided it.

What does FDISK say about the drive?

If you don't have the patch to ME that allows you to drop to a real-mode DOS prompt, it might be prudent to install it.

Remove your original HD completely from your system and substitute your new 20 GB HD in its place. Ensure that you have selected MASTER or CS. POST your system and check the BIOS info then proceed to full boot with a system floppy. Assuming your new HD is formatted, attempt to copy a batch or text file and see what happens. If you can open and read the batch or text file you have eliminated the drive as a source of the problem. If your BIOS sees both drives and ME doesn't you have a problem with ME. IIRC, this was a semi-common problem back in the day. I would go to the control panel and click on "Install new hardware" and/or look at Device Manager and click on the new hardware search tab.
I still run ME on a 10GB drive (that it came with). :smile:

FWIW, what system floppy can you boot from that will recognize a 20GB drive?​

I don't see the problem. I run Win98SE, WinXP and NetBSD (multiboot) off of a 40GB IDE drive on a K6-2 equipped system. Windows gets two partitions.

You don't actually need the floppy, its for continuity after to check the BIOS setting.
Make up your mind; you can't have it both ways.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Agent Orange
Remove your original HD completely from your system and substitute your new 20 GB HD in its place. Ensure that you have selected MASTER or CS. POST your system and check the BIOS info then proceed to full boot with a system floppy.
quote_icon.png

granting BIOS detects the drive, the question is after the POST or during DOS session if the drive still exits then assume there is no hardware problem with the HD. you can check if the its accessible when you use FDISK to partition it or just check for partition information. if there is a partition existing it should not be an NTFS partition for the drive to show up in WinME. if it doesnt show up using fdisk then probably it has a problem with the BIOS parameters or something..

Back