• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replaceing PSU fan

Today i bought a Y power connector (splits 1 connector to 2) for my floppy dives since XT only got 2 connectors (floppy and HDD). When i powered it up, after some minutes the metal thing that is slided clockwise to hold the fan in position loosened from the fan and sounded like everything would blow up in any second lol....

However, i dismantled the PSU and bended the metal "paddles" down a bit so it would tighten better against the fan and i slided it clockwise back again.
When i then powered the system up i noticed that the fan was waaaaay more quiet then before, and much less vibrations!

So if your fan makes a lot of noise and vibrates much, i could recommend to bend the "paddles" on that metal clip/holder/tightener or what you call it so it tightens the fan better in position, but do it on your own risk! and only if it is needed! even if there isnt much of a risk to do so. And this was made on a IBM xt 5160 PSU

So atm i will not replace the fan since that made everything all ok again :)

Hope this helps someone!

One more thing, should my XT have a SW2? i can only find SW1, or is it hidden under the drive bay somewhere?

Your manual is for the 5150.

It's strange when the manual came with the computer (i guess) as the old man bought the 1983, im the second owner of this nice system :)
And the manual says 1th edition 1983

The XT 5160 has 1 dip switch, The PC 5150 has 2, It depends on what manual you have, What does it say on the front cover ? See here for more information.

The XT 5160 has 1 dip switch, The PC 5150 has 2, It depends on what manual you have, What does it say on the front cover ? See here for more information.

The front cover says "IBM personal computer manual" and nothing else. Thanks for the link!

Sounds like it aftermarket for the 5150, Is it Hardback or ring binder, i have a few IBM manuals GTO's and TR's in the original ring binder, I also have a few Hardbacks Sam's etc but nothing that just says "IBM personal computer manual" Post a pic if you can.

No its a genuine IBM hard back with a box you place the manual inside like this but in swedish

ibm-guide-to-operationsOutside.jpg

and direct translated from swedish is "IBM personal computer manual", but the translation should be as it says on the manual you see on the picture

Back