• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MPS-803 Printer No Longer Prints

Twylo

Experienced Member
Hi folks,

Alright, I know the MPS-803 is (putting it nicely) a terrible, terrible printer. But it's also nostalgic for me, because that's the printer I had with my C64 growing up.

That said, I have an MPS-803 that used to work fine until I moved houses. I've just set it up for the first time since moving, and it no longer prints. When I run it through its self test, I can hear the pin mechanism working, but it's very quiet compared to normal, and nothing is actually ending up on the paper. I know the ribbon is good, it's very inky. It's almost as if it's either out of alignment, or the pins are just "weak" somehow. As far as I can tell there's no way to actually adjust the print head.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be up, or have you experienced something similar?

Thanks,

-Twylo

It's not uncommon for printhead wires to get all gunked up. It used to happen when these things were de rigueur. Use a light solvent, such as kerosene, lamp oil or even paint thinner to soak into the head mech and flush out the goo.

It's not uncommon for printhead wires to get all gunked up. It used to happen when these things were de rigueur. Use a light solvent, such as kerosene, lamp oil or even paint thinner to soak into the head mech and flush out the goo.

Hi Chuck,

I think your diagnosis is right on. I figured out how to remove the print head and gave it a light cleaning with Simple Green. Two of the pins are printing freely now, so I'm going to let the whole pin mechanism soak face-down in a very small amount of Simple Green for a few hours to see if that loosens things up even more.

Thanks very much for the tip!

-Twylo

Back