• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable keyboard repair

bettablue

Veteran Member
OK, we all know that those little circular padded discs, with the mylar coating on one side are a pain in the butt to make work with the Compaq Portable, Portable Plus, and all the way through to the last one, the Portable 386.

I was wondering if anyone had come up with an alternative. I mean, to me, it seems like it would be fairly simple to make replacements for those padded discs out of some other material. The keys themselves are all spring loaded, so whatever is used doesn't really have to have padded foam to help in returning the key to its original position.

Does anyone have something else they have tried?

Next, in case I can't get something to replace the foam pads, maybe someone remembers where I can get a Keytronics keyboard to scalp the padded discs from.

I would love to hear your opinions.

I don't know about Keytronics, but I have a couple of Key Tronic keyboards. Two different models and they're both really nice. One is boxed. But if you're just gonna cut'em up... forget it. :)

I don't know about Keytronics, but I have a couple of Key Tronic keyboards. Two different models and they're both really nice. One is boxed. But if you're just gonna cut'em up... forget it. :)

No, I'm not going to take any that weren't meant for destruction. I'll be stripping them down for their padded discs to refurbish not one, but two Compaq Portable keyboards. I wish I could just buy a 1 cm hole punch. I have a piece of foam that would work. And I have all of the original pieces from the two Compaq machines. If I had a 1cm hole punch, I could easily make replicas of the original padded discs. Cutting with a scissors is out though. I just don't have the dexterity I need. Polio is a real pain in the butt. But what's almost worse is the after-effects.

I hear that there was a place where one could purchase Keytronic keyboards for something like $9.95, or $19.95 or something. If I can find those, I would just order two of those boards and be set.

I hear that there was a place where one could purchase Keytronic keyboards for something like $9.95, or $19.95 or something. If I can find those, I would just order two of those boards and be set.
But what if those Key Tronic keyboards are not of the foam pad type. If they do use foam pads, the keyboards could be old and the foam in them deteriorated.

OK, we all know that those little circular padded discs, with the mylar coating on one side are a pain in the butt to make work with the Compaq Portable, Portable Plus, and all the way through to the last one, the Portable 386.

I was wondering if anyone had come up with an alternative. I mean, to me, it seems like it would be fairly simple to make replacements for those padded discs out of some other material. The keys themselves are all spring loaded, so whatever is used doesn't really have to have padded foam to help in returning the key to its original position.

Does anyone have something else they have tried?

Next, in case I can't get something to replace the foam pads, maybe someone remembers where I can get a Keytronics keyboard to scalp the padded discs from.

I would love to hear your opinions.

I managed to get an Apricot Xi keyboard working by cutting suitably shaped pieces of foam out of these.

But what if those Key Tronic keyboards are not of the foam pad type. If they do use foam pads, the keyboards could be old and the foam in them deteriorated.

The ones I was referred to were refurbished keyboards with all new pads. I have no problem taking a couple of them apart for their pads. I just can't remember where to get the keyboards.

Just one note to tell that the last one was not the Portable 386, but the Portable 486.

Hi all
I have been working on a fix for the pads for some time as I need them for ACT Sirius 1 / Victor computer (www.actsirius1.co.uk) keyboards.
With a bit of research foam double side sticky can be found on the net at the correct thickness and a suitable hole punch found on the net. EBay is where I got mine, both punch and tape. Works for me and of course gets the keyboards up and running again. Old technology simple fix. Bit fiddly bit well worth the effort.
Give it a try it will work.

The 1.0mm or 1.2mm high density foam sheet you can get at most craft style stores, a pot of contact adhesive, a Mylar emergency blanket from a sports goods store and a hole punch.

Just test the emergency blanket with a meter and glue the conductive side to the sheet.

I then glued that to the original plastic discs that were still in the insides of the keys.

Works great, cost about $7 (minus an evening punching out holes)

--Phil

Back