• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Networking OS/2 2.1?

geoffm3

Veteran Member
So in my 'Strange floppy drive behavior' thread I mentioned that I was attempting to install OS/2 2.1. I have that successfully installed, but now I need to get the networking going on it. I have seen some discussions talking about using LAPS to set up networking, but that it needs to be installed separately from another install. NTS/2? I have looked high and low for where to find this. Can anyone help?

Ha, that certainly brings back some memories......I remember using LAPS to configure our PS/2's with OS/2 2.1 to run over our companies token ring network !
I don't recall any specifics about how to configure this in LAPS, but I think you're going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Any particular reason you're using OS/2 2.1 ? I do recall that OS/2 3.0 Warp was a big performance improvement
over 2.1.

Any particular reason you're using OS/2 2.1 ? I do recall that OS/2 3.0 Warp was a big performance improvement
over 2.1.

No particular reason. I did start with Warp 3.0 and it was a dog.... Supposedly you need at least 16MB for it to really shine and my machine has 8MB.

I've tried MSLANMAN for OS/2 on a 2.1 not too long ago. It's not the most stable thing in the world and is pretty limited, but if you want to get some sort net connectivity, it will do the job.

non-dialup Networking always was an extra for OS /2 v2 and from what I recall it cost more than than the OS itself. IBM really screwed up royally on this, they were so arrogant and confident that every one would use OS/2 and that Microsoft would tow the line, they forgot to make it affordable. When Windows/95 came out with TCP/IP included, the OS might have been unstable, but it had a working browser for free...

non-dialup Networking always was an extra for OS /2 v2 and from what I recall it cost more than than the OS itself. IBM really screwed up royally on this, they were so arrogant and confident that every one would use OS/2 and that Microsoft would tow the line, they forgot to make it affordable. When Windows/95 came out with TCP/IP included, the OS might have been unstable, but it had a working browser for free...

OS/2 Warp 3.0 was released in 1994 a year ahead of Windows 95, and it had TCP/IP capability built in by that time. I worked at a store that sold IBM Aptivas which had Warp 3.0 installed dual boot but nobody ever cared about it, all anyone cared about was Windows, even though it would run Windows software too.

I do think that it's pretty funny how IBM tried to make out Microsoft as the "Borg," a position I'm sure they were envious of, given their own track record with the PS/2 line.

Don't you mean "Warp Connect"? My vanilla copy of Warp 3, IIRC, didn't have TCP/IP built in. I could go and double-check, but I think you needed Warp Connect for that, which cost more.

Don't you mean "Warp Connect"? My vanilla copy of Warp 3, IIRC, didn't have TCP/IP built in. I could go and double-check, but I think you needed Warp Connect for that, which cost more.

Could be right. I was thinking it was built in, but maybe not or it was included with the Aptivas we had.

Turns out I installed Warp 4.0 instead of Warp 3.0 the last time, so maybe Warp 3.0 performance wouldn't be quite as bad as I experienced on the previous install. :p

Turns out I installed Warp 4.0 instead of Warp 3.0 the last time, so maybe Warp 3.0 performance wouldn't be quite as bad as I experienced on the previous install. :p

Warp 4 is Warp 3 with a few extra pieces. The performance will be the same unless you were forcing the loading of Warp 4's Java and multimedia tools.

Well, I've about given up on this thing and gone back to Windows 95. I've still got the OS/2 install on another disk but it seems to be fairly flakey. If I run the machine with the Turbo switch turned on, OS/2 will hang while booting 80% of the time, it doesn't recognize the ATAPI CD-ROM drive, there's no networking and I'm starting to get annoyed with tinkering with it. ;) I have no problems with Windows 95 on the same exact hardware.

What a pain!

Hardly surprising really. What version of win95 did you opt for? Warp 3.0 wasn't terribly hard to set up using supported hardware on one of my 486s using the ver 4 server network client. Seems to add some extra bits over Warp Connects network setup, for example dhcp. As you say 16 megs of ram is is way to go though. Generally not an issue in my case as I've collected a few old ram sticks over time. Personnally I wouldn't use Warp 4.0 on anything less than a P1 133 and 32 megs of ram.

Have fun ;)

Last edited:
Warp 4 is Warp 3 with a few extra pieces. The performance will be the same unless you were forcing the loading of Warp 4's Java and multimedia tools.
The video subsystem was changed in Warp 4. It's a good idea to go with the scitech display doctor which is available on Hobbes It supports more video cards and is handy when swapping the hdd from one machine to another. Needs a Fix Pack 5 or higher iirc. Also can be added to Warp 3 with FP35 applied.

Last edited:
Hardly surprising really. What version of win95 did you opt for? Warp 3.0 wasn't terribly hard to set up using supported hardware on one of my 486s using the ver 4 server network client. Seems to add some extra bits over Warp Connects network setup, for example dhcp. As you say 16 megs of ram is is way to go though. Generally not an issue in my case as I've collected a few old ram sticks over time. Personnally I wouldn't use Warp 4.0 on anything less than a P1 133 and 32 megs of ram.

Have fun ;)

I'm still kind of tinkering with it a little bit. I did get the ATAPI CD-ROM drive working so at least now I can avoid using floppies until I get the networking going. ;) The thing still locks up while booting with great regularity. I'm wondering now if it's the video card driver that's an issue. I've got a VLB CL5426 based video card and I've found OS/2 specific drivers for it, so I'm going to try those and see if that cures the lockup. As I said, Windows 95 and DOS/WFW3.11 have never had any issue with any of the hardware in this machine.

I'm using Windows 95 C. I use the 486 as a tweener machine to transfer disk images to floppy and prefer to have something with long filename support (and network support too). I've been on an IBM kick here lately so OS/2 seemed like a logical choice and I've never spent much time with it before.

Not too long ago, I hauled out an old 486 box and set up OS/2 on it--it used a VLB SCSI adapter and drive for storage. I could get OS/2 2.1 to work after a fashion using MSLANMAN for OS/2 using an NE2000-compatible NIC, but it wasn't rock-solid. I never did get Warp Connect 3 working all that well--and while Warp 4 worked, it was a real chore getting it going, with the various supplemental packages.

FWIW, I found that the eComstation LiveCD of Warp was fairly easy to get running.

Back