• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Orchid Tiny Turbo 286

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has the manual for this card? I know I can get the settings off of TULARC but I am looking for an actual manual. I am trying to figure out if you need to remove the 8087 in a system when you install the card. I know you can install an 80287 on the card but what about when the turbo is off and you are using the original 8088? Can the 8087 be left installed and used?

Also does anyone know if there was a driver/utility disk for this board?

Thanks!

Based on what I have seen, there does not appear to be any actual need for a program, it appears to function based off the switch. I am sure you have seen this :

http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/a...ccessories/Upgrades/Orchid Tiny Turbo 286.PDF

Of course, it may be inconvenient to have to reach around to the back of the system every time you need to switch the speed.

As the Orchid Tiny Turbo is very similar to my 286 Express card (Tandy 1000/A/SX only), I would say that you would not have a problem with an 8087. It should work when the switch is set to the 8088 mode.

Based on what I have seen, there does not appear to be any actual need for a program, it appears to function based off the switch. I am sure you have seen this :

http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/a...ccessories/Upgrades/Orchid Tiny Turbo 286.PDF

Of course, it may be inconvenient to have to reach around to the back of the system every time you need to switch the speed.

As the Orchid Tiny Turbo is very similar to my 286 Express card (Tandy 1000/A/SX only), I would say that you would not have a problem with an 8087. It should work when the switch is set to the 8088 mode.

GH,

I have seen that PDF as well. Yeah, I don't think you need drivers for it to work. I was just wondering if there was utility disk ever maybe to test it out or what not. This card definitely is not switchable w/ SW. For that you need the Turbo 286e. Thanks for the info on the 8087. I am going to leave my 8087 in there then.

how does the tiny turbo connect to the pc with? what kind of 40 pin adapter did it use? something similar to the Mach 20?

It uses a straight 40pin ribbon cable to 20pin dip socket (i.e. pin 1 is connected to pin 1). You plug in the dip into your motherboard and the ribbon cable can either be connected directly to the board or to the daughter board that carries the original 8088. Not sure how the Mach 20 is setup.

Okay here is the definitive and official answer for the Tiny Turbo 286: Yes you may leave the 8087 installed and in use as long as you also have an 80287 installed on the card. Both can be used simultaneously depending on the state of the switch.

Back