• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

6550 RAM adapters for PET 2001

crock

Experienced Member
This was something I could have done with a couple of years ago when I was sourcing 6550 RAM's for a PET 2001 restoration.

The seller has been selling composite adapters and 6540 ROM adapters for a while, and he now offers a nice little adapter allows you to replace a 6550 with the plentiful 2114's.

http://www.dasarodesigns.com/product/mps-6550-commodore-pet-2001-ram-adapter/

If this has already been posted, apologies, I couldn't see it in the archives.

cheers, Rob

This was something I could have done with a couple of years ago when I was sourcing 6550 RAM's for a PET 2001 restoration.

The seller has been selling composite adapters and 6540 ROM adapters for a while, and he now offers a nice little adapter allows you to replace a 6550 with the plentiful 2114's.

http://www.dasarodesigns.com/product/mps-6550-commodore-pet-2001-ram-adapter/

This looks like a really neat item, but the one thing I can't see is the jumpers or dip switch to select down to the needed 1K RAM boundary. I see the the decoder chip buried under the 2114 socket, but how does he select the proper 1K chip select for the bad RAM he is replacing? I wonder if the gadget is hard wired for one spot and you are supposed to put the freed up good chip into the bad spot? I guess that would work.

In his web site he gives some great information on different video RAM problems. Good stuff.
-Dave

Last edited:
This looks like a really neat item, but the one thing I can't see is the jumpers or dip switch to select down to the needed 1K RAM boundary. I see the the decoder chip buried under the 2114 socket, but how does he select the proper 1K chip select for the bad RAM he is replacing? I wonder if the gadget is hard wired for one spot and you are supposed to put the freed up good chip into the bad spot? I guess that would work.
Not sure I follow you there; as long as you decode LLHH on pins 18-21 to give you a /CS it should work in any socket, no?

In his web site he gives some great information on different video RAM problems. Good stuff
Indeed, although a couple of things didn't seem quite right; probably me missing something.

I'm guessing its mapped to only make use of one half of the chip, the rest goes to waste. Thus only replaces one chip.

Not sure I follow you there; as long as you decode LLHH on pins 18-21 to give you a /CS it should work in any socket, no?

Mike,
Right, I see it now. LLHH on pins 18-21 is wired to activate one 74138 decoder output to form the chip select to the 2114. The gadget can go into any spot. Nice!
-Dave

Mike,
Right, I see it now. LLHH on pins 18-21 is wired to activate one 74138 decoder output to form the chip select to the 2114. The gadget can go into any spot. Nice!
-Dave
Here's a local boy's version, up to 32K, mounted underneath the PCB to keep the top looking original (the switch and 'LS30 are only to select memory size, 8,16,24 or 32 K.
A little messy, but it works ;-)

RAM-1a.JPG

Here's a local boy's version, up to 32K, mounted underneath the PCB to keep the top looking original

A new way to surface mount? I can't see where the address and data bus are connected, under the 32K RAM chip somehow? I like that the modification cannot be seen from the top.

A new way to surface mount? I can't see where the address and data bus are connected, under the 32K RAM chip somehow? I like that the modification cannot be seen from the top.
Yup; I believe it sits underneath the 6502 and as it happens 17 of the 28 lines line up directly (different labels, but that doesn't matter).

RAM-2a.JPG

The PDF of the schematic's too large to upload and I don't know how to easily reduce it but I can email it to ya if you're interested.

Credit for the hack goes to Josh Bensadon BTW. He did something similar for the ROMs but I thought it'd be easier and neater to just use one of Jim Brain's adapters upside down as it were; we haven't tried it but it oughta work.

Last edited:
Back