• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My YYC collection

yergens

My collection started as wanting the computers that I couldn't afford when I was studying computer science (1989-1993). Mostly workstations like Sun, NeXT, SGI, etc -- and also the Amiga and Atari ST.

Statistics (138 computers/workstations)
25 Apple computers and Laptops
12 Atari computers
15 Commodore computers
2 DEC workstation (AlphaStation 600, DEC 3000 Alpha)
4 Silicon Graphics workstations (Indy, Indigo, Octane)
17 Sun Microsystem workstations
2 NeXT (workstation and Cube)
3 HP workstations (700/735)
58 Misc computers (Texas Instruments, Osborne, Mattel, etc)

Some of the items I hope to add one day is a Transputer card (Microway/TEK), Spectravideo SV-318 (because every keyboard needs a joystick), Lisp machine or lisp hardware card (Symbolics), Borland Turbo Prolog and a Sun JavaStation.

Some photos of the collection: http://bit.ly/12hkjOi

Impressive collection :) Very nice site, love the pics. I've already learned about a few new systems. That IBM 7690 is pretty crazy looking. Looks like it's ready to do surgery itself.

Nice collection :) Good to see some more modern stuff being kept too.

Nice.

I suspect you mean OS/2 2.1 or 1.3 instead of IBM OS/2 release 3.1.

Since it says 1994 I'd actually take a stab at it being OS/2 Warp. Could've potentially put Windows 95 in it's place - I just remember it being slower, and not being able to easily find software for it at the time :(

Well, OS/2 Warp was pretty good if you had OS/2 applications to run with it--it had the reputation for being very stable. eComstation I think is still sold and is a repackaged version of Warp 4. As a developer, I really liked Warp--very well documented--and the support people were usually able to find an answer to a question.

Since it says 1994 I'd actually take a stab at it being OS/2 Warp. Could've potentially put Windows 95 in it's place - I just remember it being slower, and not being able to easily find software for it at the time :(
You're probably right. I was just being an "Anorak" and looking at the software list right down the bottem right. Skipped that first list completely. Neither here nor there really though in the big scheme if things. My DEC 486 runs v3 Warp quite ok with 8 megs of ram. Start up and hooking up to the network takes a bit of time though. Installed the network client from v4 Server, newer tcp/ip stack and DHCP support, on it as opposed to using "Connect". Still have a folder full of tuning tips stashed away somewhere.

Last edited:
Back