• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

?save a file with wordpro 3 plus on commodore pet?

techtatan

Experienced Member
Hi everybody

I have a little issue with wordpro 3 plus from lotus.
I'not able to save anything to floppy using shitft clear M (Memorize).

i use a petdisk from where i can read/write from basic.

when i run wordpro the prog askes for printer port and floppy port. from there i am in the prog typing something ... trying to save.
the program askes again for device n° but only 0or1 seem to work if i hit 8 nothing happen.

then from device 1 i get fault in disk error channel.

does someone have any suggetions ?

kind regards

i use a petdisk from where i can read/write from basic.

when i run wordpro the prog askes for printer port and floppy port. from there i am in the prog typing something ... trying to save.
the program askes again for device n° but only 0or1 seem to work if i hit 8 nothing happen.

then from device 1 i get fault in disk error channel.

Right now PETDisk can only emulate SAVE or LOAD commands that do not require a drive number 0: or 1: preceding the filename. It seems WorkPro is using drive numbers and so an error is issued by PETDisk.

PETDisk creator, Mike has it on his TO DO list to add drive number capability with a firmware update.

Let me ask you about WordPro. I used a program with that name in the late 70's and early 80's, but is was not by LOTUS. Did LOTUS buy the program from the original vendor? Is there a posting of the program on the web? Does it need a key or PROM installed? I would love to use that old program again for fun. I typed many a report at Rockwell using that program. It had rather crude report formatting capability by today's standard, but it did work.
-Dave

hi Dave, nice to read you :)

Right now PETDisk can only emulate SAVE or LOAD commands that do not require a drive number 0: or 1: preceding the filename. It seems WorkPro is using drive numbers and so an error is issued by PETDisk.

ok this explain that :(

Let me ask you about WordPro. I used a program with that name in the late 70's and early 80's, but is was not by LOTUS. Did LOTUS buy the program from the original vendor? Is there a posting of the program on the web? Does it need a key or PROM installed? I would love to use that old program again for fun. I typed many a report at Rockwell using that program. It had rather crude report formatting capability by today's standard, but it did work.

I use wordpro 3+ in my knowledge dungles are only neede by version 4 or higher.
i found it zimmermans where it is at bottom of the page and listed as to be from lotus : ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/pet/ALLFILES.html

i have found other informations on other sites about wordpro 3plus/64 from Professional Software Inc. thats why i specified the one i use :)

All i wanted to do was to get some text on a floppy. so after the petdisk did not do the trick i tooke my 4040 dual floppy but after a few times in storage this one does not want
to read anything and the more i try the worser it gets .

No event the initialisation does not work .

I only have the 3 led flashing 2 times again and again and agin nothing else. 30min ealier the drive was at least working and giving a file not found erro. now nothing.

do you have any knowlege or experience to share about this error signal ?

kind regards

here is a little up

i have switched the 10750 chips from a old 8080 board. from that moment on drive 0 starts up with an pitched and continuous noise. I immediatly shutdown the drive and replaced the ships by original ones but the noise still there.

So i thought it could be a contact problem with the sockets, so i replaced all the white sockets on the digital board. but no luck.

At this point i'm really confused by this issue as the drive worked perfectly a few month ago. at this point i really dont know where to investigate on the digital or on the analog board ?

Some help would be really apreciated :)

kind regards, techtatan

hi dave

3 LED flashing indicates possible bad 6532's, 6530 or 6504. This is the worst error pattern to get. Are any of those chips on sockets?

the 10750 are 6532 chips like i told in my up i replaced them and changed avery socket. now i have an pitched and continuous noise comming from motor board on drive 0 and the 3 leds keep on all the time. from time to time the motors starts turning but the head not mooving.

my question is should i investigate on the digital or the analog board ?

kind regards

my question is should i investigate on the digital or the analog board ?

Tech,
Stay on digital board until LEDs blink and go off. So the 10750 is a substitute for the 6532 RIOT chip? A real problem will be if the 6530 has bad internal 1K ROM. Do you have a spare 6504 CPU. These chips are the digital electronics that interfaces with the analog board. The 6502 parts interface with the IEEE 488. I think you have a scope, is that correct?
-Dave

hi dave thanks for reply and sorry for delay.

by a mistake of mine i also shooted my petdisk by diconecting it while the computer runs :( so i was working on that .

So the 10750 is a substitute for the 6532 RIOT chip?

the 10750 is the original ship on my 4040 mainboard i have the same on the 8080 board from where i switched ! by turnig them on the back side tey are marcke "6532 5227 0281" so this are the right ships !

A real problem will be if the 6530 has bad internal 1K ROM

i do not have a 6530 on the 8080 board on UK3 i ahve a 901483-03

Do you have a spare 6504 CPU

no i do not at my knowledge may i should look in other machines ...

The 6502 parts interface with the IEEE 488
i replaced it with the one from the 8080 board with no luck

I think you have a scope, is that correct?

right i have one but my skills on shematic are not the best. witsh points shouls i check ?

kind regards, techtatan

i do not have a 6530 on the 8080 board on UK3 i ahve a 901483-03

From Zimmers, a 4040 with DOS2 code should have a 6530 part number of 90466-04.

A 2.5 Micropolis 8050 drive would have a 6530 with part number 901483-03.

Has your 4040 been upgraded to a higher density 8050?

I'll check to see if there are some signals to look at on the 6504 CPU to easily see it it is running. Sync would be the best but I think it is dropped in the 6504 due to pin count.

From Zimmers, a 4040 with DOS2 code should have a 6530 part number of 90466-04.

A 2.5 Micropolis 8050 drive would have a 6530 with part number 901483-03.

Has your 4040 been upgraded to a higher density 8050?

No sorry there is a mistake, what i meaned was that i do not have a spare part the 6530 as on the 8080 board from witch i picked some chips the uk3 does not hold the same chip.

really sorry for this confusion. it is my fault it was late night and it seems that i was to tired for some vintage computer investigations :)

I'll check to see if there are some signals to look at on the 6504 CPU to easily see it it is running. Sync would be the best but I think it is dropped in the 6504 due to pin count.

that would be very nice, thanks a lot for your time and help.

kind regards

hi dave

I will be away for a week (some family problems). So i will not be able to continu investigations on the 4040.

I will start another Thread when i come back. with the right title "issues on 4040 drive"

Thanks for all your kind help.

Regard

Back