• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DR CP/M-86 for IBM Sold on eBay for $467.00

Ignorance or lack of supply? I've seen early versions of CP/M, DOS, and Windows all reach close to that in the past (at least past the $200s). I haven't followed the market for a while though so I could be less familiar than yourself.

It would seem to me I recently flushed away about $2000 when I discarded a box of early OS 5-1/4s because they might have been moldy. :(

Not exactly sure how often they come up for sale.

I bought the same software as far as I can tell, Digital Research CP/M-86 for IBM PC and PC XT
281053775841, not sure how to pull up old auctions but it was around $45.00.

Regarding Completed Listings, I was looking for "Digital Research CP/M" (without the "-86") and didn't see any. I have a manual with no disks but I'm sure this is version would be more abundant. I just don't know the platform because of the lack of disks. Does anyone know what platform the manual is for if there are no disks? I assume this is all the same manual for all but the x86 platform?

That's what I was thinking Chuck, I have something I think is worth $45.00 and it is selling on eBay for $450.00.

I was thinking about those CompaticCards and how much they are bringing now.

Programming/development tools often seem to sell for quite a bit. Although no idea why this went for so much.

My CDP OEM of CPM-86 1.1 was about $7 with some other stuff. Cheap clones FTW :D

Well it only takes two people fighting over something for the prices to get high, and if it doesn't come up very often I'm not surprised by the sale price.

It's quite likely this would've been PC computing if Microsoft hadn't stolen the show (so to speak).
I think this title gains popularity from the whole "CP/M 86 vs DOS" thing. Well at least that's why I'd buy it.

Chuck:

Please don't take this wrong because I am as old as you, but did you get it from Gary Kildall when he was still teaching at the Naval School. Was this when he was trying to get Intergalactic Digital Research started.

Jimmy

No, I do know people who worked for him at around that time, however--doing documentation. Concurrent CP/M-86 was much later--in the 80s. When Gary was just getting started, the only reason I knew the PG school was because it was a very staunch CDC shop--that and Fleet Numerical in Monterey. It was said that Seymour Cray could announce that he was working on a machine and CDC would have an order for one the next day.

While I'm not going to say there's NOBODY out there for whom it would be worth that much, whenever I see things "actually" selling for those types of prices it sets off my bullshit alarm... and yes, those were air quotes Dr. Evil style. "Laser"

I would suspect seller shell game where they are trying to create example sales to drive up the price and their rep -- paying the e-bay fee in hopes of making it up later when prices are artificially inflated. I've seen it a few too many times the past few years, and really this one like a great many others sets my scammy sense tingling.

Back