• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Phasing out stuff

CalculatorLab

Experienced Member
How many of you guys recall when stores had certain items? Like VHS tapes? You probably do, I am almost 15, but I remember when I was about 3-5 you could go to walmart and they had tons of VHS tapes! And I remember when gamestop sold the used original gameboy and even N64 games. I wish I was a bit older so I could have seen more history, but I can't really do that. What do you guys remember? it does not have to be when you were a child, it can be whenever you like.

I remember when video rental stores not only existed, they had Beta, VHS, and CED. You had to go to Montgomery Ward to get LaserDisc, though. Babbages was cool. It was like Gamestop, but with C64, Atari, Amiga, and PC games. No used ones, though. And Radio Shack was actuallly worth going to.

Not seeing all the history means you won't have wasted lots of money on the technology of the future that disappears from the market shortly after release.

I remember when Atari 2600 carts were being dumped and purchased a few 3rd party ones for a couple bucks (still have them).

I kick myself for not buying more metal cassette tapes when they were being dumped, nobody can make them anymore. Glad I never went for DCC, minidisc, DAT when they were new and pricey but I did see they come and go.

Being 46 and into electronics means I have seen all kinds of things come and go same with the stores that sold them and companies that went boom and bust with them.

Not seeing all the history means you won't have wasted lots of money on the technology of the future that disappears from the market shortly after release.
Ah but the irony will be folks have to spend more than it's worth to find a working player to have in their collection and show off now :)

The video rental stores were common inside of your local supermarkets also. There you could also rent a player and later video game consoles and games so we would occasionally rent a sega and a game for a few nights or alternatively could rent a beta player (never did).

Eventually all the old stuff ends up in clearance bins or in grab bags. Sorta like today where most thrift stores can't get rid of their dvd collections even at $2/dvd and vhs is pretty much of no value currently.

Strange thing is MiniDisc was still being produced as late as 2013 in some form (HiMD). The MiniDisc format was still popular in Okinawa when I was there back in 2007. You could still get a car stereo with an integrated MD player in almost any electronics or automotive store.

Minidisc was Japanese (SONY) so it would be popular in Japan until Godzilla comes to crush them all.

I should take another look I guess.. but nearly every music player in the house (I'm in Japan) has a minidisc player in addition to CD and radio. And the (quite new) car player is dual CD/Minidisc. Some months ago I looked at hi-fi systems in various shops but I don't remember if there were new systems with MD included there. But I have a bunch of brochures stacked away somewhere.. unlike where I come from, they're still big on brochures in Japan. Yay! I like that.

I really wouldn't mind having a CD/MD/MP3 player for my car but the Japanese market radios don't have the full FM range used in other parts of the world IIRC.

I remember a day when you could buy software or hardware and be reasonably sure there was nothing malicious in it. And electronics that didn't have retarded burn-out-your-retnia-blue LEDs. Probably bought Microcenter's last motherboard with a real floppy disk controller a while back, and may have bought the last beige case from NewEgg a few years back.

And let us not forget the discontinued Publix Cheese Spread - the store brand version of Velveeta that did not cost an arm and a leg.

Walden book store occasionally had games that were $5. They were challenging and exciting.
Our little smallville ComputerLand was boring.. i remember it being pretty office-centric, but Radio Shack was exciting.
Talking to sales clerks that obviously knew less about technology than me, a 16yo ;)
When I was younger than that:
150 in 1 project kits:
il_340x270.654096245_bqph.jpg
Radio Shack ScienceFair Microcomputer Trainer (Programmable!!):
microcomputer.jpg

I remember a day when you could buy software or hardware and be reasonably sure there was nothing malicious in it. And electronics that didn't have retarded burn-out-your-retnia-blue LEDs. Probably bought Microcenter's last motherboard with a real floppy disk controller a while back, and may have bought the last beige case from NewEgg a few years back.

Good lord, don't get me started on that ever-rising (mal)practice by software makers. That's something I'll throw in the rant-tank before too long, that and legitimate websites. Heck, I miss PAPER OWNERS MANUALS!! I loved having a nice bit of documentation I could hold in my hand and access without the need for electricity. That kind of stuff is what my tech skills were built from!

Blue LED's, I think that's all they make now. Heck, even my GUITAR AMP has blue LEDs in it! Usually guitar is the last place to stop using some outdated tech. They're still using body, neck, and pickup designs from the 1950's, and that same blue LED amps - Vacuum Tubes.

I was always the guy to see the phasing out of stuff because I was so poor as a kid/teenager that I got into technology often times "10 years too late".

- My first game console, Atari 2600, I was 8, it was 1990, most kids had an NES. So I pretty much ate up the Opelika/Auburn Kay-Bee Toys remaining stock of Atari games and Periphery that I did not already have. Shoot, I remember when every thirft store had an Atari 2600 or two kicking around, now you're lucky to so much as find the once-oh-so-common Combat CX-2601 cartridge or CX-40 Joystick.

- I bought the last NES games at the Opelika Alabama Wal-MArt in 1997, I still have them - Rocketeer, and Robin Hood Prince of Theives, new in box with shrinkwrap, and a beat up, document-less box of Alien III. I also bought their last supply of DSDD Floppy Diskettes (360K) for my first computer that I had that same year - a 1986 Tandy 1000 SX.

- Radio Shack in Auburn and Opelika STILL had the paper parts books for the old Tandy computers up until 2004. I bought a memory expansion for that same 1000 SX to 640K for $49.99 in 1997. I remember seeing a $4000 ST-506/412 MFM HDD kit on the same page when I bought that. I also bought up the last few Tandy branded Floppies they had - they don't last as well as 3M or Imation branded diskettes do for me though.

- Bought the last Win 3.1 compatible printer at Wal-Mart in 2001 for my Flight 386 SX (Creeping Net 1), I also bought the last 40 Imation Floppies to back up aforementioned computer.

I have a lot more stuff I could add, I might write a blog post on it sometime later.

Last edited:
Back