• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 Model 70 60MB HD - broken read arm spring

billdeg

Technician
I got a request to repair a IBM PS/2 Model 70 60MB HD that has a broken read arm spring. Anyone have any way to fix something like that? The person who sent it to me has data he wants off the platters, but I don't know if the read arms will ever work correctly. They kind of jitter when attempting to move the heads, there is nothing holding them firmly. I have a working drive that I could poss transplant the platters to, but I don't have the equipment for that kind of accuracy.

Bill

Last edited:
I hate threads like this. Now I got to go take apart a hard drive to see what's being talked about.

Bill, w/all due respect, why did he give it to you if you haven't a clue LOL?

I had someone misinterpret a post of mine once. Expected to perform a complicated (for me at the time) tooling/fitting procedure for him. I was like . . . uh . . . well... you see ...

This is a data recovery job. Did I say I did not have a clue? I don't need any help on how to do the work I meant - does anyone have a workshop for this kind of work who'd like a paying gig to complete? I don't have the tools to completely disassemble the harddrive properly and replace the spring. You'd need a dust-free place with high powered magnification and a way to remove the platters safely and transplant them. I have a spare drive with a spring that one can use. If anyone wants to earn some money I can pass this job along, I am simply not equipped to repair a hard drive that is this far mechanically damaged, nor do I want to do this work.

There are a few places that charge $2 grand to completely disassemble a drive to get the data off of it from the platters, maybe someone here is equipped for such work. That's the only way I see to help my customer. Please contact me via PM IF YOU ARE EQUIPPED TO DISASSEMBLE A PS/2 ERA MICROCHANNEL DRIVE AND EXTRACT THE DATA.

Capiche?

Last edited:
Not too many (if any) here will have clean rooms in their house, I'd say if they NEED the data, Ontrack would be the people to call, they will get that data, but it will cost them.

well I have seen discussions of jury rigging a small "clean box" w/HEPA filters and some type of suction fan. I am not the expert. I saw a guy at a college I worked at a billion years ago run a smallish (20 meg) h/d w/the cover off. IOW where there's a will there's a way. I don't recommend reckless handling of h/d's, but I don't doubt reasonable success can be attained w/limited resources.
If you don't have the capital to pay a pro, give it a shot.

If you don't have the capital to pay a pro, give it a shot.

For sure, but if you ABSOLUTELY NEED that data, don't go trying to do it yourself, you could possibly damage it beyond the point of even a pro being able to recover it.

Bottom line if its critical data, just pony up for Ontrack, if it's not critical and you just want to see if you can do it, knock yourself out.

Well, if you're going around getting quotes (I wouldn't touch this one with a 20 foot screwdriver), you can add Drivesavers to your list. Not that they'll be any cheaper or will be eager to take it on...

Back