• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Advice about this apple II rev 0 auction?

leiy

Experienced Member
Advice about this apple II rev 0 auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151634196717

Serial: 2455, the memory chip are all metal caps, seems no Sup'R'Mod II in case.
What is easy port on the right side?

Thanks.

Last edited:
That's certainly shot up in price since the other day. Early machine but it does look like the PSU has been replaced and ROMs have been upgraded to Applesoft ones?

The extra port looks like a simple extension to make plugging joysticks / paddles in and out a bit easier as you won't have to pull the lid off each time.

That's certainly shot up in price since the other day. Early machine but it does look like the PSU has been replaced and ROMs have been upgraded to Applesoft ones?

The extra port looks like a simple extension to make plugging joysticks / paddles in and out a bit easier as you won't have to pull the lid off each time.

Yes, the power supply and ROMs have been replaced, which would normally reduce the value somewhat. However, as this is a Rev. 0 system, they are rare enough that it won't impact much, and finding the parts to return it to stock isn't impossible.

The EZ port makes swapping joystick port peripherals easier (don't have to open the case), and saves wear and tear on the motherboard. It also uses a ZIF socket, to save damage to the joystick connectors as well.

A video modulator like a supermod is maybe 10-15 bucks and plugs right in. So it's a no biggie that it's missing. The ROMs are anywhere between 100-250 bucks and the power supply is around 75-200 bucks if you are patient. So missing the ROMs or powersupply, common items to have been replaced is not going to impact the value much. it has the original keyboard which is a big deal!!!!

Or into a VCR with a Composite Input and then to the TV.. ;)

Very true! That's of course how a lot of us did it for a lot of years. I still have some of my mechanically broken VCRs that I used for that. :D

I noted the serial number on this computer was A2S1-2455, making it a quite early system. I also noted that the hand written date code on the motherboard was 2733. Can anyone decipher or explain what "2733" represented. I was always under the impression that this was a date code with the first two digits being the year and the second two digits the week of that year. For example, my earliest Apple II has a serial number of A2S1-7866 and the hand printed number on the boards is "7903." So I assumed it was built the third week of 1979., but I might be way off! Can some Apple II experts clear this up for me?

I noted the serial number on this computer was A2S1-2455, making it a quite early system. I also noted that the hand written date code on the motherboard was 2733. Can anyone decipher or explain what "2733" represented. I was always under the impression that this was a date code with the first two digits being the year and the second two digits the week of that year. For example, my earliest Apple II has a serial number of A2S1-7866 and the hand printed number on the boards is "7903." So I assumed it was built the third week of 1979., but I might be way off! Can some Apple II experts clear this up for me?

The earliest motherboards did not use a date code, they were serialized. So motherboard serial number 2733 in system serial number 2455 are numbers matching... some bare Apple ][ boards were sold, as well as some used internally. There was a program to trade in Apple I boards for ][ boards as well.

Before the date code method of serializing was implemented, there was just a literal serial number. So, if it doesn't make sense as a date code, it's from before date codes started. Other hints can come from date codes on chips, and the inside of the case from that era often has a date stamped on it as well. Of course plenty of these machines are frankensteins, put together with various parts from various places; so nothing is absolute.

I can understand why it didn't go for higher.

For me, it doesn't have hardly any description, which says it's totally untested, and probably doesn't even turn on. The keyboard looks pretty good (at least it's not missing keys), but these old keyboards often have keys that don't register anymore, or they double or triple. It's in fairly dirty condition, which isn't usually a good thing with almost-40-year-old electronics. It's got some case modifications (like the joystick plug on the side), and the pictures look pretty dim.

Also, the other comments by the other posters on this forum make sense in terms of the replaced parts.

I'll never understand why people list items like this, which they must know will likely fetch a good price, but then only take awful cell-phone shots with it, and don't bother to post any description (probably because they're posting it with their cell phone). Furthermore, it looks like this lister never even cleaned it at all. I think if they at least bought a bottle of spray cleaner and a few paper towels and wiped the dirt off, they would have gotten at least $200 more.

Just my 2 cents.

Back