• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help with IBM 5155

PeterBrine

Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum. A few years ago, my dad and I pulled my dad's old IBM 5155 out of my grandfather's attic, plugged it in, and found that it was still working perfectly. I decided to take it out a few days ago and start messing around with it, but I couldn't access the hard drive. The floppy drive works fine and most of the games and programs I have for it still work.

Every time I boot up DOS and try to access the drive (using "cd C:") the computer just returns "Invalid drive specification". I've checked to make sure the hard drive is hooked up correctly to the controller (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/misc/5160_hard_drive_cabling_single.jpg), checked both the controller board and the hard drive board for any potential damage, and tried to make sure I have the right jumper settings. My questions are:

1. How can I begin to diagnose the problem? The only error code I've gotten is 1701, which is for a "fixed disk or adapter general error" (http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/ibmdiag.htm), and this was only when I started messing with the way the ribbon cables were connected to the drive.

2. If the problem is with the drive, is there any way I can fix it, or am I just going to have to get a new drive? Also, what drives, cards, operating systems, etc. are compatible with the 5155?

3. Am I trying to access the drive incorrectly? I've noticed that I can get to a B: drive, but it seems to just be the same thing as the A: drive. I also read something about drive IDs, can someone inform me as to what those are and if those would apply here?

If anyone needs pictures, just let me know. I don't know how to ID the controller card I have so if someone could tell me where to look that'd be awesome. I'm only 20 years old, so I have very little experience with this technology. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Peter

Probably the drive is stuck so failed. You can try and find a replacement device on eBay, or fit a modern alternative.

I offer a number of cards that will work (here) - and there are other options too, most notably from Andrew Lynch.

Every time I boot up DOS and try to access the drive (using "cd C:") the computer just returns "Invalid drive specification".

3. Am I trying to access the drive incorrectly? I've noticed that I can get to a B: drive, but it seems to just be the same thing as the A: drive. I also read something about drive IDs, can someone inform me as to what those are and if those would apply here?
First, cd C: is not the command to get to C:. C: is the correct command. Just type 'C:' and press ENTER.

C: is the correct command. Just type 'C:' and press ENTER.

I've tried that too and that gave the same message.

How would I go about fitting a modern hard drive to it? Can I use the same controller that's in the computer? And is there a maximum size that I can use for the hard drive?

How many floppy drives are in this 5155? If it is just one and the second one has been replaced with an harddrive,
then I would suggest someone leave the dip switches on the motherboard in the position for two floppy drives.
That's why you get redirected by trying to access (the non existing) B: drive.

Last edited:
First check cabeling.
Pull on and off a few times for good contact.
check positions pin 1 is the mark ribbon (red or black) Look on your drive and your card for pin nr.1

Try: boot Dos from drive A

Then type FDISK (if you have that program on that boot disk) must be in the DOS Directory.
look if that program can see the drive.
Choose 4? Display drive

All other options will permenently distroy the data on the disk!

But in essentially 1701 means the Hardrive card can't find the harddisk attached to it.

ID is the drive number of the harddrive.
Every drive needs a "adres" so the HDcard can talk to the right drive if more than 1 is attached.
ID 0 = C-drive
ID 1 = D-drive
At your harddisk with jumpers this setting is done.
Look at a datasheet through internet search what the settings must be for ID 0.

Tell us the mark and type of that Harddisk.

A few weeks ago I manage to get a Rodime R0202E MFM 20MB harddrive that came with a IBM 5160
also with that 1701 code -up and running fine.

If nothing helps maybe a low-level format wil get the drive going , but all data will be lost.

- Check to make sure the drive is spinning up and the cables are secured. (as per previous post)
- Check to see what style of drive it is - I'm 95% sure you'll find a 34 pin and 20 pin cable in there - but if it's anything else ignore my comments below.

If the drive is spinning up and the cables look good, my first port of call is generally the LLF (low level format) procedure. The drive is completely wiped in this process, but often returns the drives to perfect or near perfect functioning order. Without knowing what card you have I can't be sure, but the usual procedure is:

- load DEBUG.COM and type "g=C800:5" (no quotes, and press Enter) - this will either do nothing and be useless**, or hopefully launch the software tool built in to the card - use this to perform a low level format - often this is also used to create a configuration record on the drive itself, so make sure you know what drive it is before you start.
- reboot and use FDISK to create a primary active partition
- reboot and use "FORMAT C: /S" to high level format the drive and copy the system files over

** if this doesn't work, then either your card keeps it at a different location or a software program is required, but this is where it usually is

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, hopefully something in there is helpful.
Let us know what happens. Pictures are good.

I've checked to make sure the hard drive is hooked up correctly to the controller (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/misc/5160_hard_drive_cabling_single.jpg),
That diagram is for a specific situation. For example, some XT-class hard disk controllers do not use J1 and J2 to connect to the hard drive; or the pin 1 location is different.

Another diagram, for you to use, can be created if we have the following information:
* Make and model of the controller card. Send us a 'decent' photo.
* Make and model of the hard drive.
* Is the cable 'normal', or does it have a twist in it (as shown in the photo at [here]).

Hi Peter, and welcome to the forums! Let's see if I can remember this stuff...especially since my 5155 is sitting in my office, waiting for me to fire it up.

First things first...if you don't have one already, get yourself a copy of the IBM Portable PC Guide to Operations manual (hard-copy or on the internet). This manual has great instructions & pictures on how to take apart this thing. If memory serves, you'll need a flat-blade screwdriver and an Allen wrench (can't remember the size...sorry). While you're at it, try to dig up a copy of the IBM Diagnostics disk (the Advanced Diagnostics disk is even better).

When you're taking the 5155 apart and putting it back together, my best advice - BE PATIENT! Rushing through things and over-tightening screws will result in many headaches. Trust me on this!

Once you remove the hard drive (and controller card that the drive is connected to), please take photos. There are lots of different hard drives & controllers that work with these systems.

For your other questions...

360KB drives came as standard equipment, although you might be able to get other floppy drives (and controllers) to work with your 5155. From a technical standpoint, the motherboard in the 5155 is identical to the 5160 PC/XT motherboard (64/256KB version). So for most upgrades you want to do to this system, consider it a PC/XT. The only problem you'll have with this is finding expansion cards that physically fit. Again, read the Guide to Operations to see what I mean.

Since it's an 8088-based system, you're limited to running DOS only. The 5155 came standard with DOS 2.1; I'd recommend at least DOS 3.30 for compatibility with most DOS-based software.

If you have only one floppy drive installed, when you try to access B:, it'll access the same floppy drive. This behavior is correct! Read the DOS manuals for more info on this. I'm used to this from my PCjr days. As for drive IDs, we can help with that once we can see some pictures of the system.

Hope this helps! And oops...I just re-read your original post, and I saw that you've already taken your Portable PC apart. Sorry!

Jon

@IBM_User: There is only one floppy drive in this 5155. Do you know where I could find a chart or something for the dip switch settings?

@MauriceH: I checked the cabling and cleaned the contacts on both the hard drive and the controller. I tried FDISK and it actually attempted to read from the hard disk, which is the furthest I’ve gotten so far. The light on the front of the drive lit up for a moment, then turned off and the computer returned, “Error reading fixed disk.” Should I try to format it? How would I go about doing that?

@SpidersWeb: The drive is definitely spinning up, and you’re right about the 34 pin and 20 pin cables. I don’t seem to have a DEBUG.COM file on the version of DOS I’m running (2.00). I had a copy of DOS 3.0, but somehow the floppy got wiped the other night :(

@modem7: I’ll get a couple pictures for you if the low level format doesn’t work. The cable is “normal.” The Floppy drive cable has a twist in it, but not the hard drive cable.

@NTEPB: Thanks! I’ve read through that manual before, and sadly I don’t have a copy of the Diagnostics disk. I do however have a “PC Tools R1.03” disk, which has a bunch of good utilities. As I said earlier, I only have a copy of DOS 2.00, so I need to find myself a copy of DOS 3.0 or 3.3. Any ideas of where I can easily find one, or is eBay my best bet?
I’ve taken apart my fair share of computers and electronics and have gotten plenty of headaches too. I’ve actually found that a number of screws are missing on the machine before I even had a chance to lose any myself!

Thank you all for the help so far, I’ll take it apart in the next day or so and upload some pictures. My last question is, would it be worth getting an 8087 coprocessor? And what would it take to set it up (if anything)?

Do you know where I could find a chart or something for the dip switch settings?
Included in the IBM 5155 information at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net

In case you are unaware, the IBM 5155 is actually a portable XT, not the "portable PC" that IBM advertised it as. The 5155 contains an early XT (5160) motherboard.

As I said earlier, I only have a copy of DOS 2.00, so I need to find myself a copy of DOS 3.0 or 3.3. Any ideas of where I can easily find one, or is eBay my best bet?
Where are you? If in Australia, I will freely post an IBM DOS 3.3 boot floppy (5.25") to you.

Assuming that the floppy controller in your 5155 is the factory supplied one (pictured [here]), then note that if you connect up a 1.44M diskette drive in place of the 5.25" drive, you can boot from a 720K sized 3.5" diskette. More information on that is [here].

I checked the cabling and cleaned the contacts on both the hard drive and the controller. I tried FDISK and it actually attempted to read from the hard disk, which is the furthest I’ve gotten so far. The light on the front of the drive lit up for a moment, then turned off and the computer returned, “Error reading fixed disk.”
The brief lighting of the drive's LED at FDISK start is a good sign, suggesting that the control cable (the 34-pin cable) and drive select jumpers are correctly in place.
Check your data cable (the 20-pin cable).

Should I try to format it? How would I go about doing that?
I presume you are writing of a low-level format (to be followed by FDISK and FORMAT operations). There is no universal low-level formating techique for XT-class hard disk controllers. Identification of the controller is the key to a definite answer.

My last question is, would it be worth getting an 8087 coprocessor? And what would it take to set it up (if anything)?
Only some programs use the coprocessor. There is an earlier thread on the subject at [here].
Setting it up involves plugging the chip into the motherboard, and then changing one of the motherboard switches.

Think the MAster Boot record is corrupt.
Or other some bad sectors that can't be read any more.

If you realy want first to try to restore the data try NORTON DISKDOCTOR.
That program posably can correct the problems on your hardrive.
find it on internet or email me.

If that fails, do a low level format with the DEBUG program.
As discribed in this thread above.

Than with FDISK put new partition on it
Than a Format c: /s to put the Boot system on the drive.

Picture time!

Top of the unit:
20150408_211008.jpg

The cards go in this order:
1. A card with a 25 pin port on it (I think it's a printer card)
2. Color Graphics Adapter
3. Floppy controller
4. Hard disk controller

Hard disk: Seagate ST-213
2015-04-08 20.53.15.jpg

Controller:
20150408_205232.jpg

I haven't found any obvious identifying marks on it, but maybe I'm not looking closely enough. If anyone knows what type of controller it is, please let me know.

Hard drive and controller wired up:
2015-04-08 21.00.50.jpg

Dip switch settings:
2015-04-08 21.03.26.jpg

If you can't make it out, the switches are set as follows:
1. off
2. on
3. off
4. off
5. on
6. off
7. on
8. on

I don't really care what's on the disk, I just want to be able to use it and boot from it. If anyone has any more ideas about how to fix this, that'd be awesome. Right now using my PC Tools program the computer recognizes a drive A: and a drive B:, but not a drive C:. I think I'll get a math coprocessor because I want to get a copy of AutoCAD eventually.

Dip switch settings:
If you can't make it out, the switches are set as follows:
1. off
2. on
3. off
4. off
5. on
6. off
7. on
8. on
Note that the motherboard switch settings do not affect hard disk drive operation.

Controller:
I haven't found any obvious identifying marks on it, but maybe I'm not looking closely enough. If anyone knows what type of controller it is, please let me know.
The hard disk controller is a Western Digital model WDXT-GEN2.

Expect to find "WDXT-GEN2" on the white sticker that is fitted between the two 'long' chips (U4 and U5). On the same sticker, I expect you to find "F300". F300 is the 'super BIOS', allowing owners to 'dynamically' low-level format the drive.

The white sticker on one of the 'long' chips informs you of the card's BIOS revision.

The cabling diagram at [here] is for a WDXT-GEN, but also applies to the WDXT-GEN2.

I don't really care what's on the disk, I just want to be able to use it and boot from it. If anyone has any more ideas about how to fix this, that'd be awesome. Right now using my PC Tools program the computer recognizes a drive A: and a drive B:, but not a drive C:.
As others have suggested, you can try to format the drive. By "format", I mean a low-level format, followed by partitioning, followed by a high-level format.

Knowing that your controller is a WDXT-GEN2 helps a lot. I enhanced your photo of the controller card, and I am pretty sure that I can make out "F300", indicating the 'Super BIOS'.

Unfortunately, my WDXT-GEN2 is faulty. But earlier, for someone else, I created a format procedure for a Super BIOS equiped WDXT-GEN, the earlier version of your card. From what I have experienced, the Super BIOS asks the same questions, and so the procedure I wrote of should be valid for your WDXT-GEN2. The procedure is at [here].

Back