• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stuff you can't find anymore

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I haven't seen an ADB KVM on ebay in ages (not that they were that common to begin with). What have you guys noticed that has disappeared from places like ebay?

I use a 4 port Dr.Bott monoswitch and have a 15 or 16 port Black Box ADB KVM as well. The Black Box model has jumpers so you can set each video out to whatever resolution you like (so what the monitor does not have to be set to a specific machine on boot to have the correct resolution sensed).

Anyway over the years ADB KVMs seem to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Tried finding an inexpensive wireless PS2 keyboard/mouse set in white for a classic Windows 95 machine I'm setting up, but they seem to be non-existent!

I have noticed Micro Center no longer carries CD-RW discs. There is an entire aisle of recordable discs, as far as the eye can see. You can buy CD-Rs and DVDs, but not CD-RWs. Strange.

Joe

I have noticed Micro Center no longer carries CD-RW discs. There is an entire aisle of recordable discs, as far as the eye can see. You can buy CD-Rs and DVDs, but not CD-RWs. Strange.

Joe

CD-RW always seemed very unreliable technology and almost never survived enough erasure cycles to compensate for the higher price.

I'll second that. I still have some new Mitsui CD-RWs--the last time I tried to use one a couple of months ago, it didn't work--and that was in a period-correct CD writer. It's cheap enough to use the write-once CD-Rs. I want my data to be more-or-less reliably recorded--CD-RW seems to land on the wrong side of "reliably".

I've found CD-RWs handy for certain kinds of testing, but as usual I'm probably an outlier. With the way most people handle CD media, RW media would get too scratched up to be re-written. I'll have to pick up some more if they are going out of style. I'm kind of surprised CD/DVD media is still around with how most people turn up their noses at it in favor of "teh cloudz".

My old burned cdr's have paper labels attached to them so they can't get scratched, haven't purchased any of those in a decade and no idea if they are still made. I might have 4 CDRW and no idea where they are at or if they still work. CDRW was a niche that went away when CDR became commodity cheap garbage and people moved to DVDR. Speaking od DVDR can you still get + and - new or did one get dropped (last batch I got was +)?

I hope we don't get to a point where we nostaglize CDRs. Blasphemy given this site sure, I guess I can understand it in terms of the last age of 'mix tapes', but as a storage medium, seems like not much reason to wax poetic about.

Back