• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC 5170 1,2MB floppy drive trouble

romanon

Veteran Member
Hello, i have this floppy drive

fotka 1.jpg

on this cable

fotka 2.jpg

controller is IBM Fixed Disk and Diskette Drive Adapter - first generation.

Problem is that i cant connect this floppy drive as a single drive. When i connect it as 2nd or 1st with some other floppy drive, it works normaly. When i connect it as a single drive, it makes very strange sounds and does not work.
I tried change switch position on floppy drive from 1 to 0, i also changed position on cable from 1st to 2nd, nothing changes. Informations in BIOS setup are correct...
Any ideas?

With two 5.25" drives on a cable, one drive is to have a terminator fitted, and the other one is to have no terminator. The drive at the end of the cable is normally the one that has the terminator.

With one 5.25" drive on a cable, it is to have a terminator fitted.

Any ideas?
Missing terminator is a possble cause.

It's just a 150 ohm DIP resistor array. There are a couple of possible configurations; the easiest way to determine what type is to see if the pins on one side of the DIP socket are connected together. If so (most probably), then the configuration is basically 8 150 ohm resistors connected from one side to the other. Otherwise, it's an internally common-ed array, but there weren't many types of those.

At [here] is a photo of the YD-380 drive from one of my IBM 5170s.
Mine is a slightly later revision than yours (REV F board versus your REV D board), but the terminator will be the same type.

The terminator in my YD-380 is a BI model 899-3-R150 (datasheet [here]). From that, we know that the terminator for the YD-380 is a pack of seven isolated resistors, all of the value of 150 ohms.

hqnvc48965bvo4590.jpg

Electronically, the chip is known as a resistor network. It has uses beyond line termination.

You are not restricted to the BI model 899-3-R150. For example, companies like Bourns make equivalents. The Bourns datasheet at [here] indicates that their 4114R-1-151 is equivalent.

You can also just get a DIP plug and solder 8 150 ohm resistors from one side to the other.

The value of 150 ohms isn't critical either--any value from 150 to 2K ohms should work fine.

Last edited:
At [here] is a photo of the YD-380 drive from one of my IBM 5170s.
Mine is a slightly later revision than yours (REV F board versus your REV D board), but the terminator will be the same type.

The terminator in my YD-380 is a BI model 899-3-R150 (datasheet [here]). From that, we know that the terminator for the YD-380 is a pack of seven isolated resistors, all of the value of 150 ohms.

hqnvc48965bvo4590.jpg

Electronically, the chip is known as a resistor network. It has uses beyond line termination.

You are not restricted to the BI model 899-3-R150. For example, companies like Bourns make equivalents. The Bourns datasheet at [here] indicates that their 4114R-1-151 is equivalent.

yes, but i need 14 pin and these are 16 pins

Back