• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Help with XT-IDE V2 will not find Drives.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I recently build 3 XT-IDE V2, two for friends and one of my IBM 5160. Two recognize the Flash Card and IDE drive, but the third one will not. I have swapped out the chips and the problem is on the board.

It will load the Bios okay but will not find the CF Card or the IDE drives. I have checked all the jumper setting several times. I have reviewed all my solder connections and they seem to be okay, but my eyes are not what they used to be and I could be missing a bad connection.

I need help in where to start troubleshooting where the problem may be. There is not a lot left on the board other than the resistors and caps to replace. I have some wire wrap, but really do not know enough about the electronics on the board as where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

I'm still a bit of a beginner on troubleshooting components but here's what I would do.

1. Visually examine your solder joints and the tracks on the PCB. Sounds like you've already done this.

2. Test all the resistors. You should be able to do this in circuit with the OHM setting. Most of the time, it should report back the resistor value. I don't know of a way to test capacitors while they are in the circuit.

3. Test continuity of your IDE header. Check each pin from the solder joint to the end of the pin. It's slow and time consuming.

4. Take out the chips then test continuity of your sockets.

Can't really think of much else off hand. I hope this helps or at least gives you some other ideas. :)

Heather

Its most likely a solder connection. I also had a problem with one of my XT-IDE cards, and it turned out several
of the solder connections needed to be re-flowed. I noticed that in some cases the solder wouldn't 'easily' flow onto
the circuit board pad. I use an Ungar 40 watt iron, so I usually lean towards not over heating the connection, but it seemed
that I had to leave the iron on a little longer than normal to get a good connection. This could be due to oxide buildup
on the circuit board pads, so it might be a good idea in the future to clean the solder side of the board before assembly.

Try examining the connections with a high power magnifying glass and bright light.....

Last edited:
Thanks Heather and Mickey for your help. It was a solder connection on one of the shorting jumpers.

My Grandson with those young eyes was here this afternoon and I got him to look the board over and he found it. I reflowed the solder and it works.

Thanks again for the help.

Jimmy

I'm so glad you got it fixed! I've got good eye sight but I still use a lighted magnifying lamp and a magnifying loupe to visually inspect my soldering. The loupe comes in especially handy when working with extremely small SMD components. :)

Heather

R1 and R2 Values

R1 and R2 Values

I recently build 3 XT-IDE V2, two for friends and one of my IBM 5160. Two recognize the Flash Card and IDE drive, but the third one will not. I have swapped out the chips and the problem is on the board.

It will load the Bios okay but will not find the CF Card or the IDE drives. I have checked all the jumper setting several times. I have reviewed all my solder connections and they seem to be okay, but my eyes are not what they used to be and I could be missing a bad connection.

I need help in where to start troubleshooting where the problem may be. There is not a lot left on the board other than the resistors and caps to replace. I have some wire wrap, but really do not know enough about the electronics on the board as where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hi jimmy,

I am trying to assemble a few of these. I gathered all the information on the page of dangerous prototype. The only thing I couldn't collect was the values of R1 and R2. Can you please guide me with that as you have made the working boards already.

Thanks and best regards
Yasir

I am trying to assemble a few of these. I gathered all the information on the page of dangerous prototype. The only thing I couldn't collect was the values of R1 and R2. Can you please guide me with that as you have made the working boards already.
Welcome to the forums.

The circuit diagram at the dangerousprototypes web site shows that R1 and R2 are 'pullup' resistors on the 'ROM enable' and 'Write enable' jumpers.

The 'Version 2' section of the web page at [here] has R2 listed as 10K ohm. R1 will be the same.

Ray:

Thanks again forum members like you, ChuckG and so many others is what make this forum so great.

The amount of help I have received here is amazing.

Jimmy

Back