• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Russia's new home-grown CPUs

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Interesting, yet--

They're not exactly wonderful

Elbrus%201.png

Tragically, they no longer have DEC to swipe from.

That said, I'm all for less homogeneity in computers, even if it is only happening thanks to Putin's paranoid isolationist policies.

It would have made more sense if the manufacturing plant was in Russia. Overpriced and slow but at least the entire production chain would be kept in country. The references I see say the actual production is done by TSMC.

Wouldn't it be weird if they produced cpus, in-house, that smeared the floor with intel and amd?

In one sense, they have. Elbrus is using a 90 nano-meter process so the die size must be enormous and the power consumption outrageous. It has the same transistor count as a quad core Phenom II built on 45 nm. Not having those two process shrinks would suggest quadrupling of both die size and power consumption. Working at all at 800 MHz is impressive.

I wonder how many of the x86 extensions it supports. MMX and SSE are pretty much essential. SSE2 would be very useful.

Tragically, they no longer have DEC to swipe from.

That said, I'm all for less homogeneity in computers, even if it is only happening thanks to Putin's paranoid isolationist policies.

Hear, hear! This is good for everyone.

So the processor runs x86 under emulation: is it SPARC?

It may not be as bad as you think: see, for example, Transmeta Crusoe and Efficeon. Clock for clock, they were slower, but they also used substantially less power at the time.

For another example of VLIW that didn't suck, see Apollo PRISM, which HP cancelled after purchasing Apollo but used some aspects of in PA-RISC.

Strange. I wonder what the performance hit is. It was horrific for Itanium.

Itanium's hardware x86 was very bad.
The hybrid software JIT that Microsoft put in Windows was a lot better. Eg, an 1.5 GHz Itanium would perform about as well as a 1.5 GHz Xeon.
Which is actually better than Crusoe I suppose.

I guess a lot of it would depend on just how good the x86 emulation software is.

Back