• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Troubleshooting Panasonic KX-P1080i : print head getting stuck

ilyaz

Experienced Member
I am testing functionality of the Panasonic KX-P1080i printer that I got together with an Atari machine

It has a self-test function and every time I try it (turning it on with LF button pushed), it starts printing than the print head gets stuck (in different places each time) and the error light comes on. The troubleshooting section of the manual does not have any relevant info.

Is this a matter of cleaning (the unit is dusty) or is it likely that I need to replace parts? Thx

Try the simple step of cleaning the rails. Doesn't take much gunk to stop the print head.

If the printer was dropped and one of the guide rails is bent, the repairs will be difficult. The best bet is to find a similar printer and cannibalize one to keep the other running.

Have you tried the self test when the printer has a different ribbon cartridge in it? I am implying a possible problem with the ribbon cartridge.

You could try the self test without the ribbon cartridge fitted, but I do not know how the KX-P1080i reacts to that. Some printer models will sense that the ribbon cartridge is missing and then refuse to do anything at all.

I don't have a service manual for this, but it sounds like the printer thinks the stepper that moves the head isn't moving so:-

1. Is the head free to move, is there any sticky residue on the rails.
2. Is there a detector that detects if the stepper that drives the head has moved, photo cell and slotted disk, if this is dirty this could be the problem.
3. Is the PSU generating the correct voltages. Low power to the stepper could cause the problem.

I would think the first problem is the most likely issue, or stiffness in the roller at the end of the belt....

Back