• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Microsoft" you have a virus scam - let them help my vintage computer

HoJoPo

Veteran Member
After I received yet another call from "Microsoft Technical Support" telling me that my computer has a virus (they can never tell me which one...), I've decided on another course of action. I'll talk them through the process on a vintage computer. :twisted:

For my Tandy 1000TX, I'll say that I'm having trouble with Windows on the computer I bought at Radio Shack.

For my Apple //e, I'll let them hear the beep and the disk II drive chugging along at bootup, then play with MouseDesk.

The GS/OS Finder on my IIgs, or maybe Windows 2.0 on the PC Transporter?

With my Macintosh SE/30, I'll even have Internet access and a real web browser!

What would you do?

Lucky you. The last few calls I have had from probable scammers of this type have been so completely garbled that I have no idea what they were talking about.

You mean a real life human calls you to scam you? I wonder why I am lucky enough to not get those kind of calls.

You should have seen the TimeWarner installer guy trying to install their software on my A3000UX in 2001. After a while the guy got extra confused because he found it was already connected to the internet. I had configured it before he came.

"What is this? Windows 95? How old is this thing? "

Crikey, I get those calls about every two weeks. Sometimes I play dumb to see how long I can keep the guy on the line (there are several scam-baiting videos out there on this; I like this one)--but mostly I hang up.

"I don't have a Windows key--and I run Linux"

The last time one of those "Windows Technical Support" scammers called I kept him on the phone for about half an hour before he realized I was intentionally wasting his time. Each time he told me to type in a web address, I'd disconnect the computer from the network and then tell him my browser said the web page was not available. When he finally realized I was messing with him he started swearing at me so I said that was not any way for "Microsoft Technical Support" to treat a customer. Then I asked if he was upset because I was using a Mac? He hung up on me.

Victim is talked into letting the scammer log onto the computer. Scammer will therefore try to show problems with the system and get the victim to pay for repairs. The scammer may also try to get information from the system for other profitable use.

The scam is quite nasty and is described CLSID Scam. What's surprising about this is how long it's lasted.

Today I got a robocall from some Indian subcontinent fellow (reports have it as Paki) telling me that I was in trouble with the IRS and that I could set things right be calling a number and arranging payment. Uh huh.

What is their end game?

The end game is to convince you to install Teamviewer on another remote connection application to your pc, remote in and perform some "maintenance." My impression is they are looking for information worth exploiting, plus they will leave the remote application behind in case they want to return to your system at any time.

Back