• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

When does a computer really become vintage.

The day it was made in the vineyard.

Based on the way things seem to be done in Italy, I'm guessing there are vintage Olivettis.

The date that I personally set is 1995. After that point, computers ceased to be interesting and unique.

In 10 years time, someone will be saying 'The date that I personally set is 2005. After that point, computers ceased to be interesting and unique.' :)

Without wasting too many words, "vintage" is not back or white. (It's beige or woodgrain! :) ). Everything, even new stuff, has _A_ vintage. With computers, the categories tend to revolve around major functionality or production changes (such as 8088/286/386/486 CPUs, systems with ISA, systems with real FDCs, etc). They aren't typically thought of as "vintage" until they become hard to find, and often being sought after for functional, educational, or nostalgic reasons.

With computers, the categories tend to revolve around major functionality or production changes (such as 8088/286/386/486 CPUs, systems with ISA, systems with real FDCs, etc).

Yes, for me personally, the fun of these old machines is to develop software for/on them, simply because they are so different to develop for than today's machines.
You have to think about problems that simply do not occur on modern machines at all. And that's what makes them interesting to me: if you are creative enough, you can make them do things that were once believed to be impossible.

The real question is when do cell phones become vintage?

My guess is when someone decides to preserve them because they are representative of the technology from the era they were produced in. For any collection to thrive, there must be enthusiasts that can recognize features or relevance of an item to the period it was made in.

In 10 years time, someone will be saying 'The date that I personally set is 2005. After that point, computers ceased to be interesting and unique.' :)

What I mean is, personal computers before the mid 90s were diverse and had a range of different operating systems. After about 1995 pretty much all we had were Macs and IBM PC clones.

I get the idea where you think it's an end of an era, however there are technologies and software within the Mac and PC realm that are no longer in use or reminiscent of that time period. Colorado tape drives, ZIP drives, Jazz disks, LS-120's, and CD drives with proprietary interface cards are good examples, as well as motherboards that lack integrated sound or video. That opens the door to further collecting of storage devices and associated media, various video and sound cards, scsi controllers, and the occasional oddball device, like the Torisan CD drive with a 3 CD changer cartridge.

Back