• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Buying a starter motherboard.

T4600C

Experienced Member
What type of motherboard would you advice to start with? I'd like something with ISA and PCI.

And, what kind of powersupplys were used back then?

Earliest boards with PCI and ISA that I've ever seen were Pentium 1 boards. Power supply was still an AT (this was before ATX) style in most situations.

Some later model 486 and AMD 5x86 boards had both PCI and ISA, but those could be a tad wonkey sometimes. For a general purpose starter/tweener, I would recommend a generic ~Pentium 1 200mhz motherboard. I would also recommend that it be a generic AT or ATX form factor, not some proprietary manufacturer-specific board. There were also AMD K6 boards in the AT form factor.

I'd also recommend avoiding anything with an integrated Dallas/Odin clock battery. Get something that uses a standard easily replaceable coin cell battery.

You can also find boards up to, I think, Pentium 4 and Athlon XP with ISA although some of those have known issues and usually only have one ISA slot.

If you choose to consider a Socket 7 or Super Socket 7 motherboard, make sure you can find documentation for the motherboard. Support for many types of CPUs requires setting several jumpers correctly and without documentation that is a challenge.

Don't get a motherboard salvaged from a Dell box or other major vendors since some used rearranged power connectors. Attach a normal power supply and the board will fry.

Back