• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RISC Thinkpad wanted

Yeah, I'd love to have it back up and running like that but was told the Tadpole was sort of a "forget it" when it comes to opening it up. I'm slow to get anything done though so it's not going anywhere any time soon.

I can't speak for the others, but my interest is in being able to run AIX on something that weighs less than 50 lbs (my B50 is pretty heavy). Don't get me wrong, I like big iron, but as I get older there is an appeal to having all-in-one devices like laptops - compact is nice, portable is nice, not getting a hernia is nice :)

This is an old thread and you've probably found something by now, but I just started an auction on ebay for a Power Series 800 laptop if you're still looking for some portable hardware that can run AIX. The details can be found here.

I....wow. I'm suddenly a lot more thankful for what I got mine for then, plus how complete it was.

Still, that's the first time I have ever seen the camera option outside of IBM's stock photo.

OK, I'm going to go ahead and out myself here: I bought it.

This is an oddball. It's not an 850, despite having the camera option and being festooned with "TP850-XX" stickers; it's legitimately one of the original Woodfield 800 systems, a Type 6020 as represented, proven not to be an 850 because the internal display is only 640x480. It also only has 128K of L2 cache, which combined with the base 16MB of RAM makes AIX 4.1 verrrrry unhappy in CDE. I have some IC DRAM cards on order and we should be able to bump it to at least 48MB, which will help. It does have the VCA jacks in the back but I haven't tried them out yet (AIX does have a vca device defined in lsdev -C). Best guess on CPU speed is 100MHz, same as the others.

Hmm, bear seems to think it's a 66MHz 603: http://www.os2museum.com/wp/ibm-power-series-exotica/#more-2452

I can certainly believe this because it's kinda pokey, but I can't really tell from uname -m (it's type "4C" which is not helpful). Can someone with an 820 or an 850 running AIX do an "lsattr -E -lproc0" and report the result? Does it detect it as a 603 or a 603e? If it recognizes it as a 603e, then bear is probably right, because this one just says it's a 603.

OK, I'm going to go ahead and out myself here: I bought it.

This is an oddball. It's not an 850, despite having the camera option and being festooned with "TP850-XX" stickers; it's legitimately one of the original Woodfield 800 systems, a Type 6020 as represented, proven not to be an 850 because the internal display is only 640x480. It also only has 128K of L2 cache, which combined with the base 16MB of RAM makes AIX 4.1 verrrrry unhappy in CDE. I have some IC DRAM cards on order and we should be able to bump it to at least 48MB, which will help. It does have the VCA jacks in the back but I haven't tried them out yet (AIX does have a vca device defined in lsdev -C). Best guess on CPU speed is 100MHz, same as the others.
So is it more rare and valuable then a regular 850?

Back