• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-DOS 2.0d for the Model II

JonB

Veteran Member
Hi

Some of you were after this rare version of TRS-DOS - I had the 8" drive connected to a PC today so I made an image. Please try it and let me know if it words - there were errors at tracks 75-77 so it may be corrupted.

Regards
JonB

View attachment TRD20D.zip

[Edit: Have no time to test this right now, going out. Looks wrong, image is only 137k long.]

There may be directory entries but are the files really there?

Sorry, I was out all day at a birthday party and had no time to try it myself. Had a nice barbecue though :) I don't have the Model II all setup ready to go for this sort of thing and there was a limited time in the morning to connect to the PC and get the image. I'm really glad it worked!

I was actually preparing it for the Hans-01 adapter testing next week. It's going to be very interesting. Time to get the M4 CP/M drivers disassembled.

Does anybody still need an image of my probably-modified original TRSDOS 2.0b disk? I've received the PCBs for my 50 to 34 pin adapter, so I'll probably try out my Lotharek emulator with my Model 12 sometime this weekend. I may or may not put my Imagedisk system back together, but I think I can export IMDs from the Lotharek utility, too.

Does anybody still need an image of my probably-modified original TRSDOS 2.0b disk? I've received the PCBs for my 50 to 34 pin adapter, so I'll probably try out my Lotharek emulator with my Model 12 sometime this weekend. I may or may not put my Imagedisk system back together, but I think I can export IMDs from the Lotharek utility, too.

Let me know how it goes. I have been trying to get my HxC working on my Model II this weekend. See the Model II Termination thread for details.

The HxC seems to be working as an external drive so far. I just tweeted a picture of it:

https://twitter.com/nf6x/status/622560561658658816

and a couple bare adapter boards, complete with the silkscreen typo that I caught minutes after submitting Gerbers to OSH Park:

https://twitter.com/nf6x/status/622561997297549312

In the picture, I booted from TRSDOS 2.0B on drive :0, and I'm formatting an image on HxC unit A as drive :2. Next step will be to try copying the TRSDOS 2.0B disk to the newly formatted image, so I can extract an IMD. It's more round-about than just using ImageDisk, but I'm killing two birds with one stone this way (image the disk, try out the HxC).

Nice, Mark! And you are not running any termination on the HxC cable, right?

Correct. I don't know whether the HxC includes termination resistors, but it seems to be working for regular reading and writing. My adapter is connected to the external drive connector on my Model 12, and the HxC is set up as drives 2 and 3 via its DIP switches. I have my adapter configured to drive the HxC's motor-on signal with the 8" door-lock signal. When I tried driving it with the head-load signal, the HxC would step along with the internal drive, though reads and writes still worked normally. Using the door-lock signal seems to work ok. I have not tried any double sided disks or images yet.

My attempt to do a full drive format didn't work, but I seem to have been able to BACKUP the real 2.0b disk to an image on the HxC and then convert that to an IMD file. Then I just edited the file to add more text to the comment header.

Here is the image for anybody who would like to try it out:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29876211/TRSDOS2B-imd.zip

It was a just over the .zip file size limit, so I posted to my Dropbox instead of attaching it to this post.

I tried on my M12 setting the HxC up as drive 2 but I see the same behavior as I saw on my MII. I guess I have to reverify my wiring.

I tried on my M12 setting the HxC up as drive 2 but I see the same behavior as I saw on my MII. I guess I have to reverify my wiring.

Could you use one of my adapters? I had to build three boards, and the other two are kind of leftovers since I plan to spin off a new version anyway.

I started to try to hook up my adapter to the internal drive connector so I could try to boot from it, but I decided it's too much trouble to get access to the motherboard on a cageless 12. I'll probably try this eventually on my 6000, though, where I think I can get access to the internal drive connector through the card cage door after pulling out the bottom few cards.

After putting it back together, I tried booting up 2.0B and then doing a BACKUP from the 2.0D image to a floppy in drive :1. 2.0B's BACKUP utility doesn't seem to like the system tracks of the 2.0D image, though, so I guess I'll need to make a bootable 2.0D floppy with my Imagedisk rig instead. The same will go for any of the other images, too. I don't have any SS floppies, but luckily the thinline drives can live with DS floppies. I think...

Mark, I'm wired up just like you have it at

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NF6X/fd50to34/master/fd50to34.png

Except i did not hook up FDS2 (pin 10 on the 50 side) since I'm only looking at single sided IMDs and I wired motor always on by jumping 16 and 15 on the 34 side.

Should work, eh?

Leaving FDS2 open should be fine. I have it jumpered open in my setup since I'm working with SS images right now.

I haven't tried pulling motor-on low yet; so far, I have had motor-on wired to door-lock on the Model 12. Maybe try that and see if it works any better? I'll also try jumpering motor-on low on my setup soon.

I could be up for one of your spares, if it plays nicely. It looks like the thing I was attempting to build in the termination thread but sounds like it works but mine doesn't. :)

Ideally I would like to connect it to the external socket, and plug the terminator into it if necessary (what my original attempt was supposed to do). Possible?

Back