• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

USB Floppy Drive on Win 7

Grandcheapskate

Veteran Member
Hi Guys,
I have almost no experience with Win 7 but have recently loaded a machine with it. Today I plugged in a USB floppy drive and the machine sees it, but doesn't assign a drive letter.

How do I use it?

Thanks...Joe

On my Windows 7 PC, it just appears in My Computer or Windows Explorer with my hard drives and removable media.

Did the driver install correctly? Checked for updates?

What model of USB floppy is it? If it is very early, it might not work with the standard USB floppy drivers.

At least on my Win 7 system, the first USB floppy attached is designated as Drive A and a second becomes Drive B.

AFAIK you just plug it in.

What do you mean by the machine sees it?

The floppy drive has an IBM label but is a Teac FD-05PUB. By "see it", I mean when I plug it in I get the little balloon in the lower right corner saying the device is ready. When I look at Device Manager, I see the drive identified correctly. Yet it does not show up as a drive letter in Windows Explorer. I can also uninstall it with no problem.

I also tried having it plugged in when I booted but that made no difference.

The machine has a single hard drive divided into logical drives C, D, E and F.

Thanks...Joe

I have seen a number of references to Teac FD-05PUB being incorrectly recognized. You could try manually forcing the driver by going to Device Manager and trying Update Driver.

The floppy drive has an IBM label but is a Teac FD-05PUB. By "see it", I mean when I plug it in I get the little balloon in the lower right corner saying the device is ready. When I look at Device Manager, I see the drive identified correctly. Yet it does not show up as a drive letter in Windows Explorer. I can also uninstall it with no problem.

I also tried having it plugged in when I booted but that made no difference.

The machine has a single hard drive divided into logical drives C, D, E and F.

Thanks...Joe

I just now plugged my LaCie USB floppy into my HP W7 laptop. When I open Device Manager it shows up under 'Floppy disk drives' as 'Y-E DATA USB-FDU USB Device' When I click on Start > Computer I see it as 'Floppy Disk Drive [A:]. With W7 you should see something pop-up on the lower right of the task bar indicating that it has found the device and is loading the driver. Just as a note, I've never had a need to physically install a driver for this particular device on any of my PC's. Also, if your device is an older USB 1.1 or something less than USB 2.0, it may be a problematic.

Last edited:
Try running "diskmgmt.msc" and assigning a drive letter there.

Have you tried another USB port? My USB floppy drive won't work on a front USB port (same problem with USB memory sticks). The system sees a USB device but throws a "Device not ready" message (I have an HP Z400 workstation).

Drive works perfect in a rear USB port...

Dang I hate learning a new operating system...I have not used Win 7 until now.

I plugged the drive in (both front and back USB ports) and looked under "My Computer" and there it was, listed under removable storage.

I then went to Windows Explorer. Still all I saw were the four logical disk drives. The four drives are listed under "Computer" in the left pane. When I clicked on "Computer" in the left pane, it opened a view of all the storage devices in the right pane, including the floppy drive and the DVD drive. I hadn't noticed until then the DVD drive does not show up in the left hand pane either. Apparently all removable storage devices don't show up under "Computer" in Windows Explorer.

Whoever changes this stuff from release to release should have their picture hung in the Post Office.

Thanks for the help guys.

Joe

Back