• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Eizo LCD monitor almost displays 15 kHz analog RGB video

vwestlife

Veteran Member
Missed it by that much...

When connected to my Apple IIGS's 15 kHz analog RGB output using a Macintosh-to-VGA plug adapter, my Eizo FlexScan L771 LCD monitor complains "Signal Error" and shuts off after a few seconds, but if you turn it on again it will stay on and show a shrunken image in the middle of the screen, horizontally stretched and with the right side of the image cut off, but otherwise viewable.

The Eizo L771 has a 19.6" 1600x1200 panel and a rated scan range of 27 to 94 kHz horizontal and 50 to 85 Hz vertical.

That's a fancy LCD panel, I'm very surprised you got anything on it at all! If I remember correctly, the IIgs's RGB port is not a standard analog signal. Might even be digital, more akin to CGA. Also, the signaling on the pins is different, and it won't work with a standard Macintosh to VGA adapter.

I had to buy one of these (unfortunately he's all out):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-IIGS-Video-Adapter-for-the-GBS-8200-8220-Video-Converter-/131580376282

... which does the conversion for you. I use it with the CGA to VGA adapter board he lists it as compatible. For my IIgs, it works pretty well hooked up to the VGA display.

I wonder if your LCD is fancy enough to also accept CGA signals like a true MultiSync.

The IIGS does produce 15.7 kHz analog RGB video. It couldn't be digital (TTL), or else it wouldn't support the IIGS's full 4096-color palette. It does use composite sync, but older Macs provide composite sync as well as separate H/V sync:

Apple IIGS RGB pinout:
pin # signal
1 ground (for red)
2 red
3 composite sync
4 not used
5 green
6 ground (for green)
7 -5 V
8 +12 V
9 blue
10 not used
11 audio output (not used)
12 monochrome screen off (?)
13 ground (for blue)
14 not used
15 not used

Mac video pinout:
Pin Function
1 Red Video GND
2 Red Video
3 Composite Sync
4 Mon. ID 1
5 Green Video
6 Green Video GND
7 Mon. ID 2
8 N.C.
9 Blue Video
10 Mon. ID 3
11 CSync and VSync GND
12 VSync
13 Blue Video GND
14 HSync GND
15 HSync

Ah, OK. You obviously know more about it than I do. Just judging from my own experience. I couldn't get the adapter to work with my CGA board, so I had get that other one. Maybe it's unique to the CGA board.

The Eizo cost me $11 at a thrift store, as compared to its list price of $5500 when new. :eek:

It's great for classic PCs and Macs at 800x600 resolution, because that's exactly half of the panel resolution, so there's no scaling artifacts; it just doubles the pixels.

I'm scared to death of buying a used one on eBay. I've bought 2 1600x1200 LCDs with promises of no dead-pixels, and both had 3 or 4 dead pixels.

Many 1920x1200 LCD displays have no problem showing 1600x1200 content without scaling.

Back