• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TCP/IP CP Pane in 8.6 lacks actual TCP/IP Settings

raoulduke

Experienced Member
I got a really cool Power Macintosh 5400/120 today from its second owner. I gather she used it for a while. I have pretty much all its original software but I was going to leave the drive as is (it also came with almost all original accessories - manuals, the purchase order, some Apple Headphones I've never seen before - maybe from the TV kit). It's a perfect mid-90s lead-in to our current internet. It's mostly populated with games, namely Catz - a cross between a Tamagatchi and YouTube cat videos.

Anyway; the thing has a TV tuner that I just successfully tested. I was going to upload the clip to my transfer FTP server. However, the TCP/IP Control Panel Pane only has MacIP [I probably meant that and not MacTCP, but now I honestly forget], FreePPP and PPP. ???

It does not have TCP/IP. So can I selectively reinstall that/how do I enable that? What's the remedy?

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how to do that. If you meant the card itself... thanks it has one. If you meant drivers - I don't know exactly how to do that. If it were pre-8, I'd do the Newtork Software Installer but I don't think that's appropriate in this case. I took the opportunity to test my zip drive, back everything up, and I'll do a factory restore, from the original CD, to 7.5.3.

*Actually even after the backup I chickened out and just deleted the System folder and reinstalled. Works fine. Still not clear on how someone was able to hide/remove the Ethernet/TCP/IP option. The thing is I don't think the card wasn't installed because it's clearly how they were using internet - just circuitously I guess.

Last edited:
Well, it does now that I've used the restore disc to install 7.5.3.

The card is Apple's "Ethernet CS II Card." Everymac shows the Performa 5400, which this was I think, coming with ethernet. So maybe they used the modem card or never used it for Internet and the previous owner had asked the configuration and kept both cards. Still doesn't explain the issue if the disappearing settings.

Last edited:
I had a godaweful Performa for a while, and the modem used an RJ-45 jack. It was very confusing as I was convinced it was an ethernet card, but I could never get it to work. Years later when I was chucking it into the bin, I pulled the card and realized it was a modem.

I don't know if it had all the contacts for it, but it had an RJ-45 jack. May still only have had 2 pins, but I was relatively young and didn't know any better. The manual wasn't much help, either, as it said the computer had an ethernet/modem comm slot. I took that to mean it had a combo ethernet/modem card in it. Ethernet cable fit in it just fine.

Back