• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sources for IBM 5150 Keyboard Springs?

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
I'm looking for this:

IBM_5150_Keyboard_Spring.jpg

Why? Because I broke one and it is causing me great pain ... (3D printing might be an option, but I'm not so equipped yet.)

If somebody has any of these spare from a bad keyboard please let me know.

That's a good lead, but IBM_User is also in Switzerland. Some place a little closer works out better for the logistics.

(How does one even fill out that customs form?)

The same way you make a spring out of metal? There are flexible plastics...

However for something standard like a spring it would probably be easier to just buy one from McMaster.

However for something standard like a spring it would probably be easier to just buy one from McMaster.

Just to be clear - the spring is fine. I need the plastic plate that it attaches to. Together the assembly is known as the spring.

Surely the 3D plastic spring would not give that beloved IBM feel or even the same, if any, clicky sound we're all so accustomed to. :) I don't think it would 'cut the mustard', even though it would probably look like mustard. :)

Let's not worry about the quality of the repair yet. I'm looking for the parts at this point.

Good find! I found it in a slightly different way ... They had some model M springs with a note to email to order those. There was no mention of model F springs so I emailed and they pointed me at those this morning.

I ordered a few extra in case this happens to anybody else.

Super glue did not work on this plastic. And even then it needs to take some force so I don't think I would trust super glue.

From what I've heard, "flip plate" is the correct technical term for the plastic part of the Model F buckling spring switch (and there's even conjecture that the F stands for "flip plate", as opposed to the beam spring's fly plate).

In any case, new springs, barrels, and flip plates will be available soon, due to Ellipse's project to recreate the 62 and 77-key IBM 4704 keyboards (which are Model F versions): http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f...dustrial-model-f-s-made-this-year-t11046.html

"Flip plate" would be a good description of the part.

My spares arrived and I tore back into the keyboard. The black foam in those degrades over time so I had a bit of cleaning to do there. But otherwise, everything is back to normal and working again. And I know what to expect the next time I get a dead key on one of these.

Metal can be "3d printed". I saw it done before the term "3d printing" came about. Back then it was called Stereo Lithography. But, that was sintered metal, not something you could make a spring out of. I'm positive someday it will be possible though.

I don't even know what's possible today, maybe they're beyond sintered parts, I have no idea. I haven't heard anything about that kind of thing in over ten years.

Back