• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

max length of an 8" floppy drive cable

retrogear

Veteran Member
My external 8" floppy drive enclosure has maybe an 8" ribbon cable. I would like to add a 50 pin SCSI extension cable. How long can it be w/o data loss? Would 24" be too long?
I'm using S100 type controller cards.

Larry G

Hi Larry,

I have a 36" 50 pin cable on my external drive enclosure with two Shugart SA800s. The SA800 OEM manual says on page 14 that you can have a maximum of 10 feet of twisted pair cable. I am not sure how that translates to flat ribbon. Basically, any reasonable lenght should not cause problems.

Phillip

I have about 6-7ft of 50pin flat ribbon cable to my 8" Shugart drives...seems there is no issues.

Yup, old technology. OC signals terminated in 150 ohms. I've had 10 ft. ribbon cables to drives with no problems.

However, this assumes that your controller uses 7432-type drivers.

>I've had 10 ft. ribbon cables to drives with no problems.
I would have never guessed it could reach that far. If the program asked for the next disk, I could change it w/o leaving my easychair :p
(Of course, then I'd need a 10ft keyboard extension too)

>However, this assumes that your controller uses 7432-type drivers.
Well, hopefully. It's a CompuPro DISK1 or a Zenith Z207.

>OC signals terminated in 150 ohms.
I'll have to check that too.
Should there always be termination or only after so many feet?

Last edited:
No, there should always be termination. The signal lines are driven by open-collector gates. You need something to pull them up. 3.5" floppies often use something like 2K for termination But nobody's using 10 ft. cables on those, I suspect.

Back