• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cleaning PowerBook cases?

novastar

Sorry if this a dumb question but whats the best way to clean old PowerBook plastics? Soapy water? Dishwasher?

This is just the plastics, not the PCB etc.

I use Sparkle glass cleaner (no ammonia) - it cuts through all but the toughest dirt without affecting the finish or color.
For stubborn scuff marks, permanent marker and such, I have used a mix of (mostly) alcohol and acetone - always test in a hidden area first if you are using this mix, since the wrong ratio can mar (or melt) the plastic.

Glass cleaner for the most part, goo gone for sticky residue. Since there isn't major airflow through a Powerbook you just don't get nasty dust bunnies inside. The fans gets cleaned with a vacuum. A wet q-tip helps get into problem corners.

If they're not too grungy, try one of those "Magic Erasers"

MagicEraserExtraPower.png

Be very, very careful with the Magic Eraser. It's basically a very fine grit sand paper. Only give a three or four scrubs at most, otherwise it'll visibly scrape away at the plastic and texture.

Personally, I'd never use a Magic Eraser. Usually leaving a puddle of Simple Green or Goo Gone for a few minutes should do the trick for most hard-to-remove marks.

Thanks for the responses but I'm in the UK and I'm not familiar with these products.

I... I was going to post a link to Simple Green UK, but ... £50 friggin pounds for some Simple Green?! Are they nuts?!

Back