• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ID this Keyboard

Bump a 6 year old thread? Sure, why not.

There have been several instances of cast/crew members saying that this is based on a Commodore keyboard (sometimes they even specifically say Commodore 64) but they are definitely mistaken. As many people have pointed out, there are extra keys along the top as well as on the right where the function keys would be. Some have speculated that those were just "extra" keys glued on by a prop guy but I don't think so. In fact, if you look at the images I've attached here, it's clear that the main keyboard area itself is NOT from a C64. The position and shape of the keys do not align with a Commodore.

Interestingly, you can ALMOST make out the logo on the computer as well.

Harold's Axe Closeup 1.jpgHarold's Axe Closeup 2.jpgHarold's Axe Closeup 3.jpg

Mystery solved!

Mystery solved!

Another year, another bump... except this time I HAVE AN ANSWER!

The keyboard is from a TEC, Inc. MINI-TEC Series CRT Terminal circa 1979.

Here is a TEC, Inc. ad from 1979. The keyboard at the bottom left is virtually identical to Harold's. If you look at the label on the one in the middle, you can see it's the same design as the one on Harold's keyboard in the images from my previous post.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

4hxh2Sc.jpg

I pretty much ignored the thread the first time around, mostly because the photo was so small.

But if this indeed a TEC keyboard, I used one in a terminal project that I had. I still have a couple of keys from it. IIRC, the keyboard was made as a complete molded unit. Keys are double-shot with the "stem" of the key being a square tubelike thing.

Back in the day, these were all over the surplus market around 1978 or so.

Back