• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Screen real estate suggestion for posts

Pepinno

Veteran Member
Things that needed improvement:

• Branding/color scheme/etc.
  • Redirects from the previous site could have been done earlier. (Now fixed.)

Now that we are back on topic, what do the fellow forum members think about putting the author of the posts at the side of said posts, instead of above them? With the current distribution of the poster's info above the posted message, a lot of screen space is wasted.

2016_03_24_VCF_screenshot_2.png

1) Your red box of wasted space in no way accurately represents (graphically) the true aspect ratio of that so-called wasted space, even though the square footage representation is relatively accurate.

2) The red box iteration of wasted space is far less appealing to the eye than is the actual so-called wasted space is.

3) Since wasted space doesn't really contribute to bandwidth usage and is somehow a little flattering to the message display itself I vote to leave it as it is. A two pane display, which is what you are alluding to is not something we really need. THAT method, would, especially in the case of looooong posts, lead to waaaay more wasted space than what we currently have as the width of posts is fixed but the length is not.

1) Your red box of wasted space in no way accurately represents (graphically) the true aspect ratio of that so-called wasted space, even though the square footage representation is relatively accurate.

Well, if the forum software was to be reconfigured to dispense with the per-post titles, then the representation would be 100% accurate. Which, by the way, I also think would be a good thing to do.

Anyway, I think a 768 pixel screen height (like the one in the screenshot) ought to fit more than just only two posts, specially more than just two one-liner posts. So I see room for improvement there...

Are you taking into consideration that everybody's display of the forum is possibly unique? Nothing is set-in-stone from one machine to another.

Are you just trying to give Evan another headache? :)

Are you taking into consideration that everybody's display of the forum is possibly unique? Nothing is set-in-stone from one machine to another.

That's what this thread is for: so that other forum users can chime in about their particular rendering of this "issue".

To tell the truth, the layout here is barely tolerable for me, but I tolerate it none the less.

I almost exclusively read this site in NakedBrowser Pro. Unless I zoom out to the point where I can barely read the font, reading a post takes a lot of left-right scrolling back and forth.

I'm sure that could be resolved somehow, but frankly every vBuillten site I've seen is the same way.

I really think getting away from vBuillten would resolve this and many other issues.

Xenforo comes to mind. But switching forum software would no doubt be cost and time prohibitive for the crew at work here. Oh well.

there has never been a forum layout that didn't suck, just sayin

frankly I have better things to do with my time other than quibble with what amounts to text on a screen, its just not that big of a deal

I vote leave as is, I also have 'show avatars' turned off which makes a difference. A two pane display, No thanks, Not for me.

I vote to populate the wasted space with dancing babies. Is the dancing baby already considered "vintage"?

Maybe, but the Dancing Demon certainly is!

image.jpg

I vote to to not change anything at this point, especially after the latest upheaval. However, if it is possible to remove per post titles, that makes sense. Does anyone use them?

No, nobody uses per-post titles. :p

No, nobody uses per-post titles. :p

Keep in mind that is probably a built-in function of this forum software (vBulletin). Unless there is an administrator option somewhere, trying to hack something like that might affect the blogging, article, or other functionality of the forum and changes would disappear after an update.

Personally i don't have a problem with the 'per post titles' though i think the majority of members don't use them, I'm not bothered either way, I don't know what the size restrictions on avatar's are but some of them are rather large hence the space, Maybe there should be a smaller size limit on avatars ?, But again i'm not bothered as i have them switched off.

I've just switched off avatars and signatures for everybody. Now the wasted space is much less. Bwahaahhaahahah!!111 (pirate laughter).

I've just switched off avatars and signatures for everybody. Now the wasted space is much less. Bwahaahhaahahah!!111 (pirate laughter).
I guess that means I'll just have to add a macro with the contents of my SIG in it. :)

☞ If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale. ☆

☞ There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen ☆
☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. ☆

Back