• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Fest?

pski

Staff member
So, there are some very, very, very preliminary thoughts being surfaced about about holding some sort of Tandy/TRS-80 show/event...somewhere...sometime. I was curious to hear from everyone as to what you thought about it? Is there a need, given the existence of the VCF events? Would you attend? Would you exhibit or present? What would you like to see at such an event? It should probably involve all flavors of CoCo and all the TRS-80 computer Models I, II, III, 4, 16,...etc. Maybe the Tandy PCs too? The portables and pocket models?

A Tandy Fest - yes that would be delightful! :bigups:

I don't know if I'm able to attend.

If only the location would be within Europe ... :drive:

But I'm aware that the most Tandy users are from the USA.

So, there are some very, very, very preliminary thoughts being surfaced about about holding some sort of Tandy/TRS-80 show/event...somewhere...sometime. I was curious to hear from everyone as to what you thought about it? Is there a need, given the existence of the VCF events? Would you attend? Would you exhibit or present? What would you like to see at such an event? It should probably involve all flavors of CoCo and all the TRS-80 computer Models I, II, III, 4, 16,...etc. Maybe the Tandy PCs too? The portables and pocket models?

Fort Worth? With sponsorship from what's left of RS... I'm dreaming, I know.

Look at the Raspberry Pi, imagine a new TRS-80 from RS, In a Model 1 case and an arm based board. They could even load it up with Raspbian and a TRS-80 emulator, or emulators for I,IV,CoCo,1000 etc etc

Clearly there is a market, however RS has been asleep at the wheel for 20+ years...

A Tandy Fest is something I would be interested in, but whether I could attend would definitely depend on where an when.

I would love to see anything Tandy included. I know the Last CoCo Fest is big, but never been there. I was at VCF East last year, and it was neat to see the Model 3/4 stuff there. I'd love to see all of that plus Model II stuff and what people are doing with the Pocket Computers, etc.

I vote yes. But I also 2nd the motion to have it in Ft. Worth, Texas. If you did that, you could get the alumni of Tandy/Radio Shack players from the 70s & 80s to attend. All you would have to do is promise free BBQ.... :)

Myles

I vote yes. But I also 2nd the motion to have it in Ft. Worth, Texas.

Of course, I'd 3rd that one... ;) I know way more people from TI than from Tandy, but perhaps some of my friends from that side of town would know some Tandy alums who could participate. However, it might be easier to find a crop of teenagers from the '70s & 80s who worked at Radio Shack & enjoyed using those systems!

One of my friends from Keller tried to get Radio Shack to participate in some makery DIY kind of festival to promote their revamped line of DIY electronics in conjunction with folks who were trying to start a Makerspace in Ft. Worth. Unfortunately, the Rat Shack powers that be weren't even receptive to that offer... and considering what they've got going on with their creditors right now, they've got some bizarre legal & financial proceedings that'll take their attention for a while.

I'd be up for a Tandy fest. I think I might have the nicest 1000TX in the entire world right now, give me a chance to show it off...

While we ponder a Tandy Fest I should let everyone know that folks from the Last Chicago Cocofest have cordially invited us to attend with our TRS-80s this year. I'm pretty sure that invitation extends to Tandy PCs as well. A lot of us are also CoCo fans too so it makes a lot of sense to come together under the same Radio Shack roof. Plus, nothing stirs creativity like a little fun family rivalry. I can't make it this year, but hope to do so next year. I think its also a good trial run to gauge interest in a full-on Tandy event.

http://www.glensideccc.com/cocofest/index.shtml

Back