• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where do you guys buy screws for you vintage machines from?

Raddit123

Experienced Member
So I'm thinking about taking on a new project - by the looks of it most of the screws in the case and PSU have surface rust, so I'm thinking (as well as the other 1 million things it needs doing to it) to replace all of the screws; my question is, where do guys buy yours from (UK)?

I've only looked on ebay, they are either in small expensive packs of 4 screws (why?!) or come in a bulk of 2,000 from China. I'd like about 100 and not to pay £20+ for them.

Is anyone in the know as to where to go?

Cheers guys.

Thankfully, I happen to live right down the street from a Microcenter, where they sell various assortments of standard case screws. There must be someplace similar over there.

While I haven't specifically checked, the common parts suppliers - Mouser, DigiKey, and Jameco should sell common screws and mounting hardware, although some of their items are only offered in bulk.

Also, there was a thread a while back: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?47276-IBM-PC-screws about hunting down screws with the exact same head size that IBM used. Although the more common sizes will usually work fine in their place.

on ebay, they are either in small expensive packs of 4 screws (why?!)
Because eBeh. :)

If you are talking about the project I think you are, I bought my screws from:

LAS Aerospace Ltd
Exeter Road Industrial Estate,
Okehampton,
Devon, EX20 1UA.
tel: 01837 658081 - fax: 01837 658080
web: www.lasaero.com

I forget which part number was which but the part numbers I bought were:

Part Number Description
-----------------------------------
AN526C-632-R4 SCREW
MS35206-226 SCREW
MS35206-227 SCREW
MS35206-232 5305-00984-4992
MS24693-C25 *SCREW
MS24693-C3 SCREWS

They have a minimum order value of £5 + VAT if I recall correctly.

Because I was fed up with screws going rusty I purchased stainless steel replacements.

Drop me a line if you need more help!

Chris.

Last edited:
Google tells me 10 pounds is over 4.5kg - that's a lot of screws. Are they all the same?

Thanks for the info Someguy!

Chris, is the project you where thinking about the Olivetti 8086 I was posting about the other day?

Cheers guys.

Strangely enough, I've purchased UNC bolts in SS from a vendor in Scotland. His prices were by far the best, even with shipping. Perhaps he's still in business--I can check. (FWIW, this was for large stainless eyebolts).

I'm beginning to find that stainless fasteners in some sizes are actually cheaper than the mild steel nickel-plated ones. Probably due to a glut of them coming in from China. They're not magnetic, but at least they won't rust.

Chris, it's still on a good price so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the info Chuck, I've managed to find some good quality ones on Amazon of all places. I'll give them a go and let you guys know :)

Back