• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 2000 in original box

Romey

Just located this in grandpas basement. I want to sell it. Should I pull it out and see if it works? Or sell as is? All advice is appreciated!

Thanks

My bad should have been more clear. It appears to still be factory sealed. All original labels and stickers. That is why I questioned opening it.

Well, when selling stuff most people want to know that you are not selling a box filled with bricks. So you probably at least need to open the box and take photos of what all is included inside. This will also show how complete the unit is (for example, is a keyboard included with it?), and if it is still in good physical condition (heat and humidity can damage an item in a box).

Some people do like items in unopened boxes, but those are usually Apple nuts. :) Off hand I'm not aware that there is anything special or desirable about Tandy packaging.

Do Tandy 2000s have any kind of clock battery that can leak? If they do, you may need to open up the unit and document the internal condition.

As for powering it up: Meh. You would need its keyboard, a monitor, and appropriate software to really test it. So if you don't have those or are not knowledgeable in those areas then all you could say is the obligatory useless "it powered on and the fan spins".

Anyway, congrats on finding a Tandy 2000. Those are absolutely collectible.

Ok I found a monitor in the box next to it, stacks of software, and box says keyboard is in there. Also found another box with loads of cords. I'll pull it out and fire it up and post back. Hopefully someone here would be interested in adding it to their collection?

> Anyway, congrats on finding a Tandy 2000. Those are absolutely collectible.

Which reminds me; two years ago I scanned the Model 2000 Technical Reference Manual for a page I wanted to make on the machine. The page was never completed. Is there any interest in the document?

The 2000 was probably an attempt to create a machine with better quality than the Model II line using a 'modern' processor (8086). Compatibility was not much of an issue (or not appreciated by IBM).

Fred Jan

One way you could handle this if you still have it, listed it as 'unopened' and if it doesn't sell, crack it open, try it and then re-post it. Everyone has particulars about what they like and consider collectable. Once its opened, there is no going back.

> Anyway, congrats on finding a Tandy 2000. Those are absolutely collectible.

Which reminds me; two years ago I scanned the Model 2000 Technical Reference Manual for a page I wanted to make on the machine. The page was never completed. Is there any interest in the document?

I'd be interested to see it.

Back