• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Programming a Fujitsu MB7052 bipolar PROM

dfnr2

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a mimeo 1 up and running before our local retrocomputer meetup. The monitor is stored in a pair of 256x4 bipolar PROMs, compatible with signetics 82S129 / National 74S287. I ordered 3 PROMS from Ebay, but unfortunately, I was shipped a compatible part, Fairchild MB7052. While the various parts are compatible for reading, they are not all programmed using the same algorithm. I am able to program the Signetics or Philips 82s129/82s129a, National 74s287/74s287a, AMD 27S19/27S19a, but my programmers (BP-1600, Xeltek 6100) don't explicity support MB7052, 24S10, NMI 6301, Intel 3621.

I tried programming a chip using the 82s129 algorithm, but it failed. I don't want to blow any more chips.

Does anyone happen to know if the MB7052 can be programmed using the 74S287 or 27S19 algorithms?

I have ordered some 74S287 chips, but they may not arrive in time.

It would be nice to have the Mimeo 1 up and running Zork in time for the meetup :)

Thanks!

Dave

, I was shipped a compatible part, Fairchild MB7052.
I tried programming a chip using the 82s129 algorithm, but it failed. I don't want to blow any more chips.

In the Data I/O Wall Chart of 1991, I could only find reference to a Fujitsu 7052 256x4 PROM, and it Family and Pin code (78/01) were different from the others in the list. But it was grouped with the National 74S287 which has a code of (08/01).

Yes, that family is all compatible for reading, but had different protocols for programming. It's possible some of the protocols may have been similar enough to be interchangeable, but unfortunately, the 74s287 doesn't work for this chip.

I'm curious if any of the other vendor algorithms is known to work for this chip.

Thanks,

Dave

I'm curious if any of the other vendor algorithms is known to work for this chip.

Dave,

According to the Pro-Log Series 90 brochures, a personality module PM9007C is needed for the MB7052/57 and MB7053/58. I see that the same personality module is used for the Intersil 5603/23 and 5604/24.

Reference:
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/..._Personality_Module_Selection_Guide_Aug82.pdf

The programming guide for the Intersil bipolar proms is supposed to be at:

https://coinop.mally.eu/anleitungen/5610 Intersil PROM Programming.pdf

However, the site appears to be broken at the moment and uses a robots.txt that blocks the wayback machine.

Bitsavers has a 1982 copy of the Fujitsu memory databook. Unfortunately, it appears to be a bit too new as it covers the MB71xx series.

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stu.../_dataBooks/1982_Fujitsu_Memory_Data_Book.pdf

Last edited:
@cdbachman: That's helpful. Sadly, none of my programmer support this either. I am kind of surprised, as I thought BP had comprehensive support for bipolar proms. Looks like the easiest thing to do is wait until my 74s287 parts show up.

BTW, the AMD part number I gave above is wrong--it's 27s21, not 27s19

@cdbachman: That's helpful...

Yes, and also he included the link to a Fujitsu book. I thought I was on to something because the Fujitsu 7113 has the same programming code as the 7052. But alas, the 7113 was too old to be included in that catalog even though many 71XX parts are in there.

The Data I/O Model 29B also has no support for the Intersil 5603. It must have been a low production part and soon discontinued.

@cdbachman: That's helpful. Sadly, none of my programmer support this either. I am kind of surprised, as I thought BP had comprehensive support for bipolar proms. Looks like the easiest thing to do is wait until my 74s287 parts show up.

These bipolar proms seem to have a large number of different methods for programming them. I found your question interesting as I ran into a similar problem when programming proms for my mimeo. I purchased SN74S287 chips which were made by Texas Instruments.

I thought that they would be compatible with other 74S287 parts, as there are two other manufacturers who make parts which are compatible. Unfortunately, I found that the TI parts are different. Fortunately for me, they appear to be similar to parts made by Tesla, and data sheets are available for that particular variation. I was able to assemble a programmer for them from the data sheets and examples online with minor changes.

I have breadboarded an adapter and used a normal EPROM/EEPROM as a temporary replacement. It looks odd, but it is an option if you need a temporary solution.

Yes, and also he included the link to a Fujitsu book. I thought I was on to something because the Fujitsu 7113 has the same programming code as the 7052. But alas, the 7113 was too old to be included in that catalog even though many 71XX parts are in there.

My hope is that someone will see this thread, and dig up an earlier copy of the data book to scan.

The Data I/O Model 29B also has no support for the Intersil 5603. It must have been a low production part and soon discontinued.

The Intersil data sheets seem to list the Data I/O along with the Pro-Log as supporting them. One of Data I/O's earlier programmers is likely to have supported them. I mentioned it in order to assist anyone else who might come across this thread in the future.

These bipolar proms seem to have a large number of different methods for programming them. I found your question interesting as I ran into a similar problem when programming proms for my mimeo. I purchased SN74S287 chips which were made by Texas Instruments.

Yes, while searching for a solution I came across what must be your web page describing the programmer. It's interesting because TI also made a compatible 24s10 part. I wonder if it was the same chip as the TI 24s287.

I was unable to find the FUJI programming protocol, unfortunately. It's not in the data sheet. I did see that the default blank chip is all 0x0, while the National DM74s287 is, I think, all 0xF.

Yes, while searching for a solution I came across what must be your web page describing the programmer. It's interesting because TI also made a compatible 24s10 part. I wonder if it was the same chip as the TI 24s287.

According to the TI data sheets, it appears to use a significantly different programming method for the 24S series parts when compared to the 54/74 series parts. The 24 and 28 series parts use three voltages, 6 volts for the Vcc during programming, 10 volts for the select or enable pin, and 16 volts is applied to the output pin. The 54/74 series parts only use 10.5 volts for the programming pulse, the rest of the pins are either ground or 5v.

I was unable to find the FUJI programming protocol, unfortunately. It's not in the data sheet. I did see that the default blank chip is all 0x0, while the National DM74s287 is, I think, all 0xF.

If I interpret things correctly, the TESLA parts are zeros by default and program ones. The TI 54/74 series parts are a mix of default ones and default zeros, depending on the specific part. The TI S287 and S387 are ones by default.

While I understand that companies such as made the ProLog and Data I/O products had access to data sheets and assistance from the manufactures, seeing how complex and variable the parts are makes me appreciate the efforts that went into their development all that much more.

Back