• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 2000 BAD_POOL_CALLER on IBM 390X Thinkpad

IndirectX9

Experienced Member
San Antonio Texas, United States of America
Hello once again VCFed!

I have recently been running into the BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD on my IBM thinkpad 390x, and this problem happens whenever I attempt to use opera.
I DID install a hotfix that was supposed to fix the error but the BSOD still occurs.
I have installed Steam and Counter-Strike: Source, (Not sure if that would cause a problem)
In addition, sometimes the laptop is warm to the touch on the underside.

Any ideas?

My first thing would be to run a memory diagnostic; use PC-Doctor if you have it with the IBM (The 390 was my favorite ThinkPad, only because it was what was assigned to us in college). If you don't have it, download and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic.

Hello once again VCFed!

I have recently been running into the BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD on my IBM thinkpad 390x, and this problem happens whenever I attempt to use opera.
I DID install a hotfix that was supposed to fix the error but the BSOD still occurs.
I have installed Steam and Counter-Strike: Source, (Not sure if that would cause a problem)
In addition, sometimes the laptop is warm to the touch on the underside.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking you have a software clash. You may want to disable Opera 1st off? Do a memory check to ensure you're okay there. Boot into the safe mode and see what you get. You can always do a system restore if you have some restore points setup. When did the error occur? Did it occur right after a major software or hardware install. You can Google that error - there's plenty out there on it.

I'm thinking you have a software clash. You may want to disable Opera 1st off? Do a memory check to ensure you're okay there. Boot into the safe mode and see what you get. You can always do a system restore if you have some restore points setup. When did the error occur? Did it occur right after a major software or hardware install. You can Google that error - there's plenty out there on it.

This started happening after I installed Counter Strike and Steam, but triggered when I visit certain web pages on Opera AND Firefox

I uninstalled Steam and CS:S and swapped the 64mb with a 128mb Pc 133 ram, but this problem still occurs, even after an SFC scan with defragmenting! The Hard drive does make some crunchy noises as she goes along, but there doesn't seem to be a major issue with it.

I used BlueScreenView and found that Win32k.sys was causing the crashes, but I can't figure out why.

Swapping the ram did nothing, removing conflicting software did nothing.

Could it be the PCMCIA Linksys WPC54G wireless card/Drivers?

Have you tested the memory? Note that memory errors can be caused by bad sockets or faulty chipsets in addition to the RAM stick itself.

What is the error message you are receiving? At least sometimes that can indicate the actual problem. Also, what versions of software are you using? My first thought upon hearing about Win32k.sys crashing is that the web browsers are mistakenly using an XP function. Function does not exist; browser doesn't catch error; boom.

Have you tested the memory? Note that memory errors can be caused by bad sockets or faulty chipsets in addition to the RAM stick itself.

What is the error message you are receiving? At least sometimes that can indicate the actual problem. Also, what versions of software are you using? My first thought upon hearing about Win32k.sys crashing is that the web browsers are mistakenly using an XP function. Function does not exist; browser doesn't catch error; boom.

I am currently running memtest86, but so Far there are no errors for the RAM.
I am attempting to use firefox 10, and opera 12, and windows bugchecks with 0x000000C2. I suspect there may be a driver issue, so once memtest is done I will dumpcheck the dump file and see what driver might've caused it.

UPDATE: As of 2:26 PM CST, memtest finished with no errors for the RAM.

This started happening after I installed Counter Strike and Steam, but triggered when I visit certain web pages on Opera AND Firefox

I uninstalled Steam and CS:S and swapped the 64mb with a 128mb Pc 133 ram, but this problem still occurs, even after an SFC scan with defragmenting! The Hard drive does make some crunchy noises as she goes along, but there doesn't seem to be a major issue with it.

I used BlueScreenView and found that Win32k.sys was causing the crashes, but I can't figure out why.

Swapping the ram did nothing, removing conflicting software did nothing.

Could it be the PCMCIA Linksys WPC54G wireless card/Drivers?

It's hard to say, but I doubt it's hardware related. Google BAD_POOL_CALLER and do a little research.

Your PC is a PIII and therefore somewhat limited by today's standards. Your PC is going to need at least a 800 KB/1 GB CPU and run at least W2K or XP. I don't think Steam supports W98 anymore. Normally, Steam supports ceases when Microsoft support ends. MS stopped support for W98 back in 2007. Firefox will run on XP SP3 but your security updates will be a problem. If I were you, and wanted to utilize Steam, I would want to upgrade my hardware to something a little more current. Other than that, stick with the software and games from the PIII era.

I have run a dumpcheck -p on this Minidump file.
Filename . . . . . . .C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini072416-03.dmp
Signature. . . . . . .PAGE
ValidDump. . . . . . .DUMP
MajorVersion . . . . .free system
MinorVersion . . . . .2195
DirectoryTableBase . .0x0394a000
PfnDataBase. . . . . .0x814ab000
PsLoadedModuleList . .0x8046e1b8
PsActiveProcessHead. .0x8046e460
MachineImageType . . .i386
NumberProcessors . . .1
BugCheckCode . . . . .0x000000c2