• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FS: Intel L440GX+ dual slot 1 motherboard

oblivion

Veteran Member
selling my Intel L440GX+ dual slot 1 motherboard with 2x 700mhz PIII CPUs and 1GB of SDRAM. I was going to make a project out of this but had some stability issues. Crashed whenever I went to run most programs. could of been my PSU or any number of things other then the board itself that was the issue. Anyways I lost intrest and was checking if anyone else was interested in it.

thinking $35 shipped? probably going to cost about $15 to ship the thing so I guess $20 isn't bad for a probably okay board and 2x700mhz PIII's.

I would snag it if I didn't have 2 dual P2/P3 boards already. Server quality motherboards are nice to have which is why I have a few (also dual Athlon MP's, P3's, Opteron's etc.). The slot 1 P3's with heatsinks are almost worth it alone.

Doesn't look like PCI-X, more like some custom slot.

Is that 3rd slot down a PCI-X slot? It looks similar but I somehow doubt it is.

From the manual that is a RAIDport III Expansion Slot for installing an Adaptec ARO-1130U2 RAID Option Card.

I have one of these Intel L440GX+ Server Board in a nice system I built up currently running Windows XP maxed out with 2GB of RAM installed. I forget what speed the dual CPU are. I haven't had any stability issues with mine. I ran Prime95 as a stress test for many hours without problem, while I have another flavor dual CPU server board that would crash attempting the same if I remember correctly.

I was in charge of supporting that board when it was new at Intel!

Yes, the extended PCI slot is a custom "RAIDport" slot. It works as a conventional PCI slot, but with the mentioned Adapter card, it turns its onboard SCSI ports into into RAID ports. (Basically the slot extension routes the SCSI bus back to the motherboard to go to the motherboard's onboard SCSI ports.)

The two PCI slots above it are 66 MHz, and on a separate bus from the rest of the PCI slots - they're actually converted from the AGP controller on the chipset, rather than the PCI controller!

It is a workhorse of a board - a friend of mine ran it as a MUx (online text-based role playing game) server 24/7 for about 12 years, the only downtime being the two times he moved during that timespan. And his was the older model that couldn't take the Coppermine (>600 MHz) CPUs. I ran its workstation-branded cousin, the MS440GX, with dual 700 MHz CPUs for many years as my primary PC, too. (The workstation one used Xeon-branded CPUs, had AGP instead of the dual 66 MHz PCI slots, and onboard audio.)

Back