• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to power on a 486 computer without the case and power button?

This looks like the best option, but I'm not finding any information on what and how you hook up to power button leads

If you don't know maybe you shouldn't be mucking about with 120 volts AC. You need a single pole, single throw switch, preferably mounted in an insulated box. Make friends with a local hobbyist. That's your safest bet.

If you don't know maybe you shouldn't be mucking about with 120 volts AC. You need a single pole, single throw switch, preferably mounted in an insulated box. Make friends with a local hobbyist. That's your safest bet.

Huh?

The ATX to AT adapter in question has +5v DC on the power switch leads, not 120VAC. You don't even need a switch, a paper clip between the leads will work fine for temporary setups.

Just be warned that this adapter will not work unless you have a very old ATX power supply that has a -5v rail. Many AT motherboards will not POST if -5v is missing, and many more ISA cards will also not work properly, namely sound cards.

Huh?

The ATX to AT adapter in question has +5v DC on the power switch leads, not 120VAC. You don't even need a switch, a paper clip between the leads will work fine for temporary setups.

Just be warned that this adapter will not work unless you have a very old ATX power supply that has a -5v rail. Many AT motherboards will not POST if -5v is missing, and many more ISA cards will also not work properly, namely sound cards.

I picked up an ATX power supply from Amazon that said it had a -5v rail

I stand corrected. I was thinking of the AT style and didn't look too close at the picture.

I picked up an ATX power supply from Amazon that said it had a -5v rail

Hopefully it isn't an IED. Quality PSUs with a -5v rail stopped being produced over a decade ago when the ATX spec removed the requirement for -5v.

You'll know if your PSU has a -5v rail if it has a white wire on the ATX power connector.

Hopefully it isn't an IED. Quality PSUs with a -5v rail stopped being produced over a decade ago when the ATX spec removed the requirement for -5v.

You'll know if your PSU has a -5v rail if it has a white wire on the ATX power connector.

Sigh. The last 2 ATX power supplies I've ordered claimed to have -5v but when I received them they didn't.

I'm wondering if I actually need it for my setup. The motherboard is definitely a later 486 mobo (4DPS 2.1, http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/4dps.html) and the only ISA card I'm using so far is a Creative CT4520, which is a late-era ISA card from 1997.

Back