• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Regusb

This is truly remarkable and I think represents the final hardware link between modern day and our legacy 8 bit machines. I can't wait to get one. Very well done!

Yes, well done Règis and Pascal! I'm especially looking forward to the UMFDI tool. This could revolutionize floppy creation from images on the TRS-80. It would be great to see this work in the opposite direction...create disk images from physical disks on the TRS-80!

Congrats, but correct me if i am wrong you would need a fully working 32K Expansion Interface with disk drives or maybe a FreHD to use this?

Disk images can be written to floppy right now using the FreHD dsk/dct driver, surprised no one has written a utility to archive real floppies to the SD card too, the hardware is sat there ready to go.

i applaud the effort to implement a USB solution but....?

Disk images can be written to floppy right now using the FreHD dsk/dct driver, surprised no one has written a utility to archive real floppies to the SD card too, the hardware is sat there ready to go.

Interesting. I wasn't aware the FreHD dsk driver supported writing physical disks. I've mounted virtual disks from the SD card. How do you use it to create physical disks? I guess you just do a disk copy in dos after mounting the virtual disk. Or is there another feature I'm missing?

Merci

For now, there is a problem with the TRS-80 M1

If you use only REGUSB: For the tRS-80 M1 his the flat cable of exit must be less than 6 cms
If you use REGUSB with FRDHD: For the TRS-80 M1 his the flat cable of exit is 45 cms and more????

Next week I'm testing on M4 and put photo on my site

This card not replace the FREDHD, but this card could do it, But this is not our project. But for Régis that is possible.

You can stow neatly in separate directory files. Then you uploaded the files you want to use on FredHD or floppy.

We want the TRS-80 works similare to MS-DOS or UNIX

Since this week. I test this card for Regis, and I request changes to Regis, when i see a problem. The length of the flat cable for example...etc

Regis has planned extensions like Bluetooth...etc to communicate with a PC and travel in the hard drive of a PC for example

Régis seeks information to create .DMK files since the TRS-80.
For to save time. Would you have the source file to create .DMK files from a PC? Regis could adapt the source file to microprocessor of the REGUSB or Z80?

A+
Pascal
http://www.prof-80.fr/

Hi Pete

yes you can use std DOS utilities, of course TRSDOS 1.3 is not supported i believe but then who still uses it lol.

Hi Pascal
I am always excited with new hardware releases and hope to have something for you guys to see soon which will work with a basic stock Model 1.

The line level shifters being used on the RegUSB should also provide ample buffering for the Model 1 but my guess is that being HCT devices then they dont have enough drive...The FreHD needs an LS245 for use with the Model 1 due to this issue whereas with the M3/4 a HC device is fine.

regards

Bonsoir
I just had Régis at the phone .On its first version. he used the 74LS245 with the load resistances and the card worked fine.
He asked me to lend him a FREDHD and everything worked, and as it withdrew its load resistors and here is a error !!!
The problem is that the FREDHD works at 10ko / s and REGUSB to 60 Ko / s
So we have 3 solutions
add load resistance to or decrease the speed of the card that runs 6 times faster than REGHD or put of a 74LS245 more fast with 30mA at the exit
The second USB is not yet used and Régis asked me what you prefer.
1) A USB printer output?
2) A WEBCAM entry to see a video on Graphix card?
3) ....?
I propose at régis to build the card in the FREDHD format and use the Arduino mounting system to add future extensions. What do you think?
A+
Pascal

Pascal my friend, i am always available to help you guys test and debug the hardware if you wish :)

A suggestion i have which is a major change would be to provide an on board Rom with drivers at the #3000 memory hole....
Alternatively it could be used in tandem with a quinterface as this has excellent line loading buffering, 32k Ram and the Rom socket, you could modify the PIC software to send RegUSB code instead of FreHD boot code...

Bas :)

Bonjour

I must admit I'm not good for programming and for English :confused:
Ian and Ira make huge effort to read me !!!! ;)
But to make a "PCB", duplication card and electronic of the old card , I'm not so bad.
I am with Regis who is a good in electronics and software.
I forward your proposal at Regis
A+
Pascal

Oh wow, this is amazing. If you need some more test-cases, let me know. I own 2 M1s (fully extended E.I. as well) and one M4.

Bonjour
I am not the master of work of this project.
I only do the development.
Only Regis has schematics and source files.
Regis did not see the problem. For 6 months he worked fine with my FREDHD. He returned me my FREDHD with a card of FREDUSB and her documentation. along I had to publish on my website. I check the functioning a FREDUSB card and I find this problem.

Normally Regis now receives components for this problem for the M1. Régis replaces the 74LS245 by 74ALS245 or 74ABT245

I'll take pictures today or tomorrow of possibilities of this card, despite this problem. You will see the potential of this project

I will keep you informed of the results.

I could not let this card with this problem that is invisible when it works with FREDHD card

Bonjour à Tous

Addition of 16 pictures describing the card REGUSB in Beta in operation on my site (end of page)

Ajout de 16 photos décrivant le fonctionnement de la carte REGUSB en version Bêta sur mon site (fin de page)

http://www.prof-80.fr/regusb

A+

Pascal

Thanks for the photos

Could you take a photo looking down on the RegUSB and cables Please (Left hand side of Photos)

Is this how REGUSB is connected to a Model 3/4
The Boards are connected in Parallel ?

50 Pin >=============== Connector 1 >=============== Connector 2
Model 4----------------------------- to REGUSB-------------------------------To FreHD

Good to see NewDos being used :=}} (Smile)
Ray

Last edited:
Bonjour,
I think I found the error for the TRS-80 M1, The card goes so fast
REGUSB the map now works with a 35 cms cable when loading the bus D0 ... D7 by resistors 220/330 Ohms.
I think obtain more of 50cms for the câble by loading all the connector (adress, commande...etc) by resistors 220/330 ohms as shown on the schematic HDD Tandy 5M.
P1050279.JPG

40 Pin >=============== Connector 1 >===========adaptateur M1/M3-4==== Connector 2
Model 1---------------35cms-------------- to REGUSB-------------10cms------------------To FreHD

We still have problems with the TRS-80 M3 / 4. The card goes so fast that the TRS-80 sees nothing. or we made a mistake wiring?
We will load all bus and commands with 220/330 ohm resistance
maybe the problem is the same as the TRS-80 M1

Model 3/4---------------0cms-------------- to REGUSB-------------50cms------------------To FreHD

Regis has 2 demo video http://dl.free.fr/iKnwCFqh1
choose FREE fibre, see 30 seconds pub then the blue arrow "télécharger le fichier"
A+
Pascal
you can place them on youtube

Bonjour,

40 Pin >=============== Connector 1 >===========adaptateur M1/M3-4==== Connector 2
Model 1-------35cms-------------- to REGUSB-------------10cms----------------------------------To FreHD

Model 3/4------0cms-------------- to REGUSB-------------50cms-----------To FreHD
Pascal
Thanks for the Photo of the cabling.
The REGUSB and the FreHD are in // Parallel on the 50 pin Bus for the Model 3/4.
Thanks for the update, I finally got the Videos (I had to many Blockers in my Browser).
Good luck with the further testing.
Ray

Régis seeks information to create .DMK files since the TRS-80.
For to save time. Would you have the source file to create .DMK files from a PC? Regis could adapt the source file to microprocessor of the REGUSB or Z80?

A+
Pascal

@ P.H. and Regis

This is a great project and could be the perfect connection to a modern operating system.
Have you consider to use the IMD (image format) from Dave Dunfield.
It as applicable on the M1, MII, M3 and M4.
You can use it with MsDos to manipulate the images.
You can easily create images of disks with MsDos
You can use it with all the HxC devices.
The sourcecode is available written in "C" at http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/dos/index.htm , read the license about it.

B.t.w. I think interfacing with the Lo-Tech adapter would be possible to serve the Model II family

Bonsoir,
The project of this card belongs to Regis, I'm just doing the tests, look for errors, correct them in hardware and make proposals for improvement
No we look for information on the formats .dmk .jv1 .jv3 but .IMD why not!
Today Régis has printed on an Epson XP-315 printer with RegUSb,
Yesterday he had connected a CD of PC
We could easily replace FredHD, but for now it is not topical. In the Demo Regis at connected a SATA HDD to USB connectors.
we lack time to use all the possibilities of this interface.
I have a connection problem with the M3 / 4, Regis seeks the Bug.
Our biggest challenge is the speed of the card, and we do not autorissons the "Z80" or the RegUSB at doing pause
For the TRS-80 M1 all seems to the point now, I have found the reason.
We need to check all the most innocuous items to be sure of this card.
After the holidays we'll know more.

A+
Pascal

Back