• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Casio Pocket computers

sonic2000gr

Is anyone here interested (or actually own) a CASIO pocket computer? Casio has produced quite a few models of pocket computers running mostly BASIC (but also PB 2000C that has C) during the 80s. Most of it is now considered collectable.
When I was a student I had a PB 220 along with the RP-8 memory expansion module (a total of 10Kb RAM, 9696 bytes available to BASIC) and I was using it heavily with science and engineering programs. Sadly this machine is now gone, but I still have a hard copy of the programs.
Few months after I got the PB 220, I've seen the FX 850 which I instantly liked - it even had a two screen display, but could not afford to buy it.

Recently however I located a site, www.cynox.de which still sells NEW CASIO FX-880P (this is an upgrade to 850 with 32Kb memory standard, expandable to 64Kb) and they even have the memory expansion! A 64Kb 880P cost about 132.50 euros (VAT and shipping to Greece included) and I just ordered one today :D

I received an email from them, they are sending it this Thursday and say arrival to Greece is estimated in 3 weeks time (but I firmly believe it will be less). When I receive it I will surely post photos of it, if people here are interested. I am also planning of putting up a site with my programs for FX880P (and PB220), TI-92 Plus and Casio CFX-9850 (which I also own)

So has anyone else any stories to share on pocket Casios?

I have a sharp PC-1500 (not quite working yet) that's probably pretty close.

Erik

Pocket Computer

Pocket Computer

The site I mentioned above has other calculator models as well. I am afraiad I am not very familiar with the Sharp models (though a friend of mine had a quite advanced Sharp graphing calculator at the time). Anyway, cynox has a Sharp, model E-500S. This is a BASIC programmable graphing calculator which can be expanded to 512 KB RAM! (they sell the upgraded versions as well). It is more expensive, and I already have the TI-92 plus for graphing anyway.
They also have the most recent TI, HP and Casio calculators.

Manolis

I saved a Casio FX-730P from molestation about half a year ago. It was lying in a box at a fleamarket - painted over with black marker and whiteout. I got it for approx. 0.80 euros. I took it home, bathed the basing in alcohol to remove the marker and whiteout - which worked fine, but sadly matted the screen-cover (which was cracked, anyway, so I need a replacement). I got batteries for it, and it worked. I haven't quite figured out how to program it yet, though... It has a notable lack of an Enter/Return button... :eh:

Re: Try the..

Re: Try the..

sonic2000gr said:
...EXE button (EXEcute) is what usually does it on CASIO pocket computers / programmable calcs.

That's what I reckoned, but I can't really seem to make that work...Possibly the machine is broken?
If I write
Code:
Beep [EXE]
, it beeps - i.e. it executes the command perfectly. However if I write
Code:
Print "Hello!"
I get an error. Same thing if I try to write an actual program (i.e. use line-numbers)...Maybe I'm just doing it wrong - maybe the machine is broken... :huh:

To write a program (using line numbers) you first have to select a program area (P0 to P9) and enter the edit mode. I really don't remember how this is done anymore (It is probably the same on FX730 and the PB220 I used to have, press MODE and a number). You can download the complete manual for FX-730P from here:

http://www.silrun.de/casio/fx730/fx730.htm

Since it responds to the beep command I don't believe it is broken. (by the way, the beep command accepts 0 or 1: Beep 0 is low tone, Beep 1 is high tone).

The FX-730 is actually a nice pocket - larger display than my PB220 and hard(?) keys.

Hmm...Well, I certainly never thought of selecting areas...Thanks for that tip. Now I just hope I can remember that next time I get the FX730 out :wink: ...It's in a big box somewhere in the attic :lookroun:

sonic2000gr said:
The FX-730 is actually a nice pocket - larger display than my PB220 and hard(?) keys.

Yup...Actually that hard :!: key bit almost backfired when I cleaned it. Although it should be obvious that the keys are plastic, rather than rubber, I thought it would be a large rubber-"plate" when I took it apart. Needless to say, the small plastic keys flew all over the place when I finally got the case open. It took me 40 minutes to find the "4"-key again :sarcasm: ...

Back