• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

286 Server

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
To put it simply, I want to use a 286 system of mine as a small personal webserver for my few webpages I have, that way I don't have to worry about tons of ads popping up, or what I can and can't out up on it. Just my own personal space.

I plan on using EZ-NOS (freeware) as my server software, which runs in DOS and that system will be plenty powerful for what I plan on using it for (12MHz). Normally I would just slip a 3COM ethernet card in it and hook it up to the net and go from there, but the setup in my room prsents a bit of a problem, connection wise...

I'm on a DSL line and my internet connection upstairs in my room is sent by a router and modem downstairs next to another family PC. If I could afford it, I would buy the 70 feet of ethernet cable to reach down to my router and directly connect the 286 there, but I just don't have that sort of cash right now. My only other option is to use the 286 system as a hub. I'd like to connect it all up as shown below:

Internet Connection => Server => My Computer

I have two 3COM 3C509B ISA ethernet cards that I can use, but I have absolutely no experience networking in DOS. Is what I propose to do realistic, and if so, how can it be done?

If I do use the 286 as a type of hub, will that dramatically slow down the speed of the internet that reaches my computer? As long as I got a top speed of around 100KB/s it wouldn't matter to me (that's about as fast as my DSL is, anyways).

Any information will be greatly appreciated, as I'm feeling about in the dark here with no clue what to start with.

Back