• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Memory Chips for an AST Rampage 286 Board (256KB DRAM)

Old PC Man

I'm looking for 256KB DRAM chips for my AST Rampage 286. The specifications listed in the user's manual are as follows:

Pin 1 not used
+ 5 Volts only
100NS or faster

The following list of chips are known to be compatible, but any compatible chip will do.

Fujitsu MB81256-10P
Hitachi HM50256P-10
Micron MT1257-10
Motorola MCM6256P-10
NEC UPD41256C-10
Samsung KM41256-10
Texas Instruments TMS4256-10NL
Toshiba TMM41256P-10

Thanks,

Old PC Man

A quick google brought up Electronics Express as a good source.

There are a couple of places here in CA that might have them but I can't seem to find URLs just yet and they don't have online catalogs anyway.

Erik

Re: Memory Chips for an AST Rampage 286 Board (256KB DRAM)

Old PC Man said:
I'm looking for 256KB DRAM chips

I have a gazillion of them... somewhere. They are pin-compatible with the 4164-type chips that the original PC came with.

That's also the kind of memory that Bill Gates said 640KB would be enough for anyone.

Now to find them...

Great News! I thought this endeavor was a lost cause. Some of my old DOS programs may still have some life after all.

Thanks

Ast rampage/2

Ast rampage/2

I'm looking for information on the:

AST Rampage/2

ISA 8 Bit

Has 0-7 banks that take memory chips

4 Sets of pins

E1
E2
B3
B4

On the back of the board it sais: RAMP II-1000

If anyone has information on this particular board messege me back.

Thanks! :)

I'm looking for information on the:

AST Rampage/2

ISA 8 Bit

Has 0-7 banks that take memory chips

4 Sets of pins

E1
E2
B3
B4

On the back of the board it sais: RAMP II-1000

If anyone has information on this particular board messege me back.

Thanks! :)

Here is at least some information:
http://th99.dyndns.org/i/A-B/52843.htm

Somehow, the other jumpers than E2 is left out...

Here is at least some information:
http://th99.dyndns.org/i/A-B/52843.htm

Somehow, the other jumpers than E2 is left out...

I found that link, and my card doesn't report any memory to the computer other than what is on the mb (256k).

Perhaps with my version of the card, you are required to set the other jumpers correctly?

I can't imagine all these other jumpers have no purpose.

Some old memory cards are configured using a configuration program.
I notice that the Total Hardware 99 page pointed to refers to a "configuration program".
A web site has the following text: "the RAMpage/2 smartswitch program".
Smart Switch is also the name of the configuration program used for the RampagePlus 286 card.
And so I think you need to find a version of Smart Switch suitable for your RAMpage/2.

Some old memory cards are configured using a configuration program.
I notice that the Total Hardware 99 page pointed to refers to a "configuration program".
A web site has the following text: "the RAMpage/2 smartswitch program".
Smart Switch is also the name of the configuration program used for the RampagePlus 286 card.
And so I think you need to find a version of Smart Switch suitable for your RAMpage/2.

Well if anyone has more information on this particular card and software that would be nice.

And, by the way, how many banks should be filled minimum to make AST Rampage card work and be recognized as a smartswitch-ensbled device? Will it be enough to fill one bank only?

And, by the way, how many banks should be filled minimum to make AST Rampage card work and be recognized as a smartswitch-ensbled device? Will it be enough to fill one bank only?
I think that one bank would be enough, but the card's user manual is the authorative source.

Back