• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

checking on the worth of a complete system IBM 5150 Model A

Adabldo7

My father was an exec at IBM, and purchased one of the original 5150's. While my wife and I were cleaning out the closets, we're trying to decide what to do with this one. It has 16k RAM, Basic, two 5 1/4 floppies. I also have the PC DOS 1.0 original disks along with Lotus V1.0 on floppies. The system was completely operational the last time I booted it up, but that's been a few years. It also has the original CGA monitor and keyboard - everything but the original box.

I don't know if we're to the selling stage, but an honest idea of the worth would helpful.

We also have a Gateway 486-66 with all original software and a 250mb Colorado Tape Backup - fully functional with Win 95 installed. This one may be good for spare parts, but it is going to be sacrificed to the recyclign gods, unless someone really wants the parts or whole system.

Replies to this post or email to my posted address is fine.

tks -

Hello and welcome.

The original IBM PCs are a bit rarer then the later ones. The originals boot to BASIC 1.0 and have 16-64K motherboards. They also have black power supplies and two screws holding the top to the case.

The later machines boot to BASIC 1.10, have 64-256K motherboards, silver power supplies and five screws.

The early models in clean working condition seem to go between $100 and $200 on eBay with the later ones being about half of that.

The real gem in your collection is DOS 1.0.

I've seen copies sell on eBay for well over $500 and I've been offered nearly that for my copy (which isn't for sale).

If you do sell the system and you are interested in top dollar then you will want to emphasize the DOS 1.0 in your auction, wherever you post it.

It might pay to sell the machine and the DOS separately, but I personally believe in complete systems and I think they bid higher to more aggressive collectors of premium systems.

Hopefully you have located the BASIC 1.0 manual as well as the original Guide to Operations for your machine.

The last setup like this that I saw sell went for between $600 and $700 with the original boxes and an IBM printer. Unfortunately the seller didn't realize he had DOS 1.00 until I suggested he check it out. The addendum to the auction wasn't as impressive as an early mention would have been and that probably cost him some money.

Good luck!

Erik

"Erik" wrote:

> Hello and welcome.

> The original IBM PCs are a bit rarer then
> the later ones. The originals boot to
> BASIC 1.0 and have 16-64K motherboards.
> They also have black power supplies and
> two screws holding the top to the case.

> The later machines boot to BASIC 1.10,
> have 64-256K motherboards, silver power
> supplies and five screws.

> The early models in clean working condition
> seem to go between $100 and $200 on eBay
> with the later ones being about half of that.

> The real gem in your collection is DOS 1.0.

> I've seen copies sell on eBay for well over
> $500 and I've been offered nearly that for my
> copy (which isn't for sale).

> If you do sell the system and you are
> interested in top dollar then you will want to
> emphasize the DOS 1.0 in your auction,
> wherever you post it.

> It might pay to sell the machine and the
> DOS separately, but I personally believe in
> complete systems and I think they bid higher
> to more aggressive collectors of premium
> systems.

> Hopefully you have located the BASIC 1.0
> manual as well as the original Guide to
> Operations for your machine.

> The last setup like this that I saw sell went
> for between $600 and $700 with the original
> boxes and an IBM printer. Unfortunately the
> seller didn't realize he had DOS 1.00 until I
> suggested he check it out. The addendum
> to the auction wasn't as impressive as an
> early mention would have been and that
> probably cost him some money.

This might sound quite strange, but if your father
was a well known figure in IBM, then that could
increase the value of that machine too. If so, then
if you can get his signature on the box, then that
should add a few extra bucks into the price.

Good luck!

CP/M User.

Back