• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 HX

What type of memory you're looking for?

I have a Tandy 1000 TX I upgraded several years ago. I purchased the additional memory from JDR Computer Products at (800) 538-5000 or (WWW.JDR.COM).

Old PC Man

Chances are you're out of luck. I'd suggest a place like eBay or the Vintage Computer Marketplace.

Good luck!

Erik

I was hoping somebody had an upgraded 1000 hx that had a bad motherboard or something like that. I do browse ebay , always looking for a bargain.

Found another hx on ebay for $12.74 that has the 640kb memory upgrade and an extra 3.5" drive so I guess I am set for now.

Unknown_K said:
Found another hx on ebay for $12.74 that has the 640kb memory upgrade and an extra 3.5" drive so I guess I am set for now.

That's an excellent find! I hope shipping doesn't cost too much!

Congratulations!

Erik

Unknown_K said:
Anybody seen an external 5.25" drive for the HX anywhere?

I have an IBM 4869 somewhere. (I think that's the model#) It contains a 360KB Alps drive and has a standard DB-37M connector on the cable.

It's not specifically for the HX though.

barryp said:
Unknown_K said:
Anybody seen an external 5.25" drive for the HX anywhere?

I have an IBM 4869 somewhere. (I think that's the model#) It contains a 360KB Alps drive and has a standard DB-37M connector on the cable.

It's not specifically for the HX though.

The HX has some proprietary cable that connects to the unit and is power by the computer I belive. I hate proprietary stuff like this but at least it makes collecting them interesting.

Unknown_K said:
The HX has some proprietary cable that connects to the unit and is power by the computer I belive. I hate proprietary stuff like this but at least it makes collecting them interesting.

I've seen drives that have a couple of lines split out to carry power, in a DB37 connector there are a lot of grounds...

Is your connector a DB37?

It looks like a circuit board edge connector like the circut board part of an atari 2600 cart.

I remember buying a paralell port 5.25 fdd made by Tandy in Tennessee. It didn't have the proprietary cable though. It was a pass-through device that had to be turned on for the signal to get though to any printer set up. Did not require a hdd, but you had to reload the driver and had to have 640k of memory to run it. It was new in the box from Tandy, it had never sold for all the time that it was new. it hink that store still has a Model II with the 8-inch disks and they STILL use it for business. The guy sold me the drive for $25 and it seemed to hurt him to sell it for that much, I thin it was supposed to go for over $200 when his store bought it years before. He was and is the opriginal owner of that store. It's gone now(the drive, not the store), traded away for something a while back.

Nathan

I did end up getting the 5.25 drive and it had the apropriate cable so I am all set (works fine). Tandy has setup software that switches the external c drive with the internal a drive so I can boot off of the external 5.25 drive. My unit has 2x 3.5" and 1x 5.25 dd drives now.

Maybe someday I will look for a scsi controller for the thing.

Back