• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

does anybody know where i can get OLD linux screenshots

dongfeng said:
problem with living in an apartment, is difficult to park your car :lol:

In car crazy Dallas, almost all apartments have either a covered parking area or an attached garage. Ours has a detached one car garage. but I'm rolling out carpet in it to use as an office/geek room. I really wanted the apartment with the two car attached garage, but for some reason my wife chose style and kitchen layout over garage space. :wink: It's really only temporary - we plan to semi-retire to Hawaii in 5-7 years.

I'm actually going in the other direction - from an 1800 sq foot house to a 4500 sq foot house. The new (to me but 17 years old) house is much bigger, but it needs a lot of deferred maintenance. And half of the space is unfinished, so I have a lot of work to do.

On the other hand, I'll finally have enough space for a proper computer room, with enough power, signal wiring, and table-top/workbench space for my machines. I don't have a lot of machines, but I desperately want to work with them more and having to go to closets and storage rooms to swap units is getting old.

I figure I need space to keep 5 or six machines setup, not counting the server boxes I never directly use. Two or three PCjrs, one 386, and if I get some time a Timex Sinclair 1000. :)

Then again, I don't live in a major city - there is room to spread out here. If I was living in NYC still my hobbies would have to be quite a bit different.

carlsson said:
Another benefit with living in an apartment is no pavement (sidewalk) to be responsible to shovel in the winter. Yes, over here a house owner living along a small street has the responsibility to keep the pavement clean, which gets even harder when the plough car has left a big snowplough on the side of the street.

What is this sidewalk shoveling thing of which you speak? (he says, sitting in his house in sunny Florida ;-) )

mbbrutman said:
On the other hand, I'll finally have enough space for a proper computer room, with enough power, signal wiring, and table-top/workbench space for my machines. I don't have a lot of machines, but I desperately want to work with them more and having to go to closets and storage rooms to swap units is getting old.
Don't worry, your collection will soon expand to completely fill all available space (including closets, basements, attics, garages, etc.). (Isn't that some kinda universal law or sum'n)?

--T

DoctorPepper said:
carlsson said:
Another benefit with living in an apartment is no pavement (sidewalk) to be responsible to shovel in the winter. Yes, over here a house owner living along a small street has the responsibility to keep the pavement clean, which gets even harder when the plough car has left a big snowplough on the side of the street.

What is this sidewalk shoveling thing of which you speak? (he says, sitting in his house in sunny Florida ;-) )

His moldy house in some swamp in the armpit of America. Seen any good hurricanes lately? (I know...sour grapes!)

--T

Early Screen shot.

Early Screen shot.

How about this one:

$_

Sorry, not funny, I know. I'll go back to sleep now!!!

.T.I.M

carlsson said:
Is it impossible to get the actual distribution and install it yourself? Besides, in the very old days I think there basically only was the Linux main distribution, and then came SLG (?), which eventually became Slackware.

SLS -> Soft Landing System

BTW, there are alot of old distros available here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/

So God needs a password to get in? I mean, I thought he was super user enough to only give his username for instant access everywhere. :wink:

True, but in the spirit of a powerful admin, he should find ways to punish them severly afterwards. I mean, like only allow them to use hexadecimal numbers when programming or using computers. Or make that octal for an even tougher punishment (?!?).

Heh! Reminds me of that ol' joke: What's the difference between God and a sysadmin? God doesn't think he's a sysadmin! <groan> Sorry, pretty bad. Ok, so if God and a sysadmin got into a fight, who would win? Trick question, sysadmins are God! <more groaning> I know, even worse...

BTW, any good hacker can tell you that the number one most common userid for root is "god", which makes the hacker's life so much easier.

--T

Funny that you mentioned the password. At the university, the department's main student server was found to have "godjul" (god jul, Merry Christmas) as the root password for a long time until some crackers broke into it and security had to be fixed.

CP/M User wrote:

> I originally come from Bendigo & now live obviously
> in Melbourne. But we do have an alpine region in the
> good ol' state of Vic, which I might add is quite
> large.

Actually this brings back classic memories to when I was
living in Bendigo & even when I was up there early June 2004.
Every morning - in Winter time there was this job of getting
the Ice off the Window of the car. When we were living there
it wasn't so bad - cause we had buckets of hot water to get
the ice off quickly.
June 2004 I was up there as part of a senimar which went for
two days. The second morning - yep you guessed it - Ice on the
Window. Except I had no buckets - all I could do was have the
engine running with the heater flat out on the Front window
(which was usually the Window with the most Ice). This took
something like 10 minutes as opposed to 2 - not to mention the
car running flat out! Jack Frost was a favourite up there.

Even had one funny day up there the 1st day of spring in 1995
where it was almost Snowing in Bendigo - quite bizarre!

CP/M User.

Terry Yager wrote:

> Do they have skiing down under, or don't your Alpine
> slopes get enough powder?

Yep. Funnily enough, offically, Australia's tallest Mountain
isn't on the mainland. It's on an Island near the Entartic
called Heard Island. It's also Australia's only currently
Active Volcano - so I guess it stands for good reason as to
why nobody goes there at all. Still it'd be too darn cold for
anyone to go Skiing down it - still might prove a challenge
for someone!

But yeah, on the mainland we have plenty of mountains, some
places are Cross Country skiing (Mt. Buffalo), but we
certainally don't have the slopes you'd find in Europe in the
French Alps, Mt. Kosciusko (the highest mountain on the
mainland) might have some of that kind of thing or Cradle
Mountain in Tasmania.

CP/M User.

I just have this image of Oz as being some kinda sub-tropical 'paradise', interspersed with a fair amount of desert land (and of course, plenty of beaches for surfin' dude)!!!

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

> I just have this image of Oz as being some kinda sub-
> tropical 'paradise', interspersed with a fair amount
> of desert land (and of course, plenty of beaches for
> surfin' dude)!!!

Nope, it's not all Beaches, tropical weather & desert. Perhaps
what you need is a typical photo of a cold Melbourne morning.
Sure it's not quite as cold as Bendigo & there's other non-
snowed in places, which get colder than that too (Inland New
South Wales for example). Queensland/Northern Territory is
more your tropics - lots of rain in the summer kind of thing,
hot humid & muggy - when even Sydney can be. Melbourne has
it's humid days which can be quite bad too. In fact the
weather is so odd down this neck of the woods it can so easily
be Hot one day & wet & cold the next.

Tasmania is usually cooler as well. Forests with plenty of
ferns - Victoria has some of this too, though it's usually
confined on the mountains, though some ferny based plants are
found near sea level - just depends, usually mountains has
more due to cooler temeratures in which they can survive in.
Tasmania is more or less all over - a little bit like New
Zealand (from what I've seen on travel shows), though New
Zealand has it's own range of plant species which evolved
there.

But from what I've heard Australia is one of the most diverse
countries/contenant's in the world, having just about
everything from desert, tropics & cooler places down south.

CP/M User.

Back