• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

European football championships

I better not talk football at all unless I want to be beat to the ground or worse - today reports are that some "supporters" throw eggs, make threats over phone and email and even cuts the tyres of the cars belonging to staff in the Danish consulate. I realize it is only a few culprits who take such actions, but to me it blackens the whole population.

Of all the talk about cheating and rigged game, I like the Spanish comments best; something along the lines of "probably it was rigged to end 2-2, but so what - we've also done things like that (and the Italians probably have too and shouldn't whine)".

and if the italians had played better in the first two games, then they would have their fate in their own hands, and not have to worry about other scorelines, os i have no pity for them, although i will miss seeing some good players, but that could be said about the other teams going out too

i think it is hilarious that the score ended 2-2, as you could see both teams wanted badly to win

chris

So what do you think about the Czech Republic? I didn't have chance to see the game, but reports said that Germany got robbed from a few penalty chances and a couple of hands in CZE. Despite that, it is a show of depth to basically put your 2nd line on the field and win 2-1 over the silver medalists from the last WC.

Thursday: ENG-POR. Despite home field advantage, I think England goes through.
Friday: FRA-GRE. France should be superior, but haven't really aced yet.
Saturday: SWE-HOL. The optimists still believe in Sweden, but I think Holland will have an easy game.
Sunday: CZE-DEN. As I mentioned above, the Czechs seem both strong and well balanced.

That would make the semi-finals England-Holland and France-Czech Rep if I'm not mistaken. Quite possible with a reprise of either ENG-FRA or HOL-CZE, which both were astonishing games.

If England would win it all, the English people would get quite self-appointed (?), but on the same time they and particularly mr Eriksson are worth some success, if nothing else so to quiet the critics.

man, did germany ever come out flying in the second half, and tons of shots, but none in the net :)

that first goal by the czech. rep. was amazing! and kahn almost and i mean almost saved it. a great one to watch in slow mo

Thursday: ENG-POR. Despite home field advantage, I think England goes through.
Friday: FRA-GRE. France should be superior, but haven't really aced yet.
Saturday: SWE-HOL. The optimists still believe in Sweden, but I think Holland will have an easy game.
Sunday: CZE-DEN. As I mentioned above, the Czechs seem both strong and well balanced.

i think you are probably right about the eng-por game, but i find the english have a suspect defence especially on set pieces. brutal

i think the greeks will have met their match against france, and i expect them to tear the greeks apart.

i don't know about the swe-hol game, to tell you the truth. i think it will come down to better tactics, so i think coaching and subs will have a big impact in this one

i don't think the danes will be able withstand the czechs too. they seem really pumped.

i hope my vcr timer works today ;)

chris

Heh. How about watching a whole 90 minutes, but in slow motion to make it something like 5-6 hours of entertainment? :lol:

Sweden have some serious defence and midfield problems. We'll see which players are not injured and available for play. A few years ago the managers experimented a little with a 3-5-2 lineup in a friendly tournament, but it never succeeded. I wonder if that should be possible to try again, with three central defenders, two defensive midfielders, two wings, one playmaker in the middle and the two forwards as usual. If nothing else, they would totally confuse the opponents who expect to see 4-4-2 with a diamond in the middle.

i don't know what leagues you get there on tv, but i get brazilian league, and i really like their style of play.

i find they run with the ball a lot, and also will take on defenders, rather than lob it around

quite amazing i find, how much diversity of style there is in the leagues around the world

chris

Wasn't Brazil the first national team to utilize four defenders in their revolutionary 4-2-4 lineup in WC 1958 (by coincidence played in Sweden)? Up to then, most teams had played 3-2-5 AFAIK. It took another couple of years before another forward was moved back to the midfield.

i think you are right

i have a 'history of soccer' book, or something like that, and they talk about the evolution of formations and such, and there was a mention of the brazilians bringing about some formation changes, etc... i guess sweden is the place that the world really took notice of pele then

i was watching some old FA cup games, and i am ever glad they got rid of the back pass to the keeper and be allowed to handle the ball. the first time i saw it happen, i couldn't believe the keeper was getting away with it, and then i realized i must be watching old rules :) and only 2 subs back then too it seems!

chris

Yep, two subs until sometime into the 90'ties - maybe it was internationally introduced with WC1994? If you check the old football manager games, they will only allow you two subs, as the rules were like that when the game was written.

I suppose the forwards of the 30'ties and 40'ties were slightly more interested in defensive play than they generally are today, or else the scores would be more in the 20-20 range than 1-1. Imagine a 5-3 man advantage in every attack for both teams.

Oh well, it looks like my first QF prediction didn't work out. Let's see if any of the others do.

Well, uptill knowI think its one of the most fascinating European Championships I have seen!
(France just lost from Greece in the QF)

yes! I knew Anders and I couldn't be the only soccer fans!

this has been an intense euro hasn't it?

chris

p.s. well Anders, looks like you and me should get into fortune telling ')

chris

Yes, well as tonight is Sweden - Holland, and I am Dutch, this is going to get interesting :D

That means you HAVE to watch, to be able to decide if the one who wins deserved it :D

Otherwise Anders and me are going to make this a looooooooooooooooong topic :p

both teams had their chances, that's for sure, in normal time.

you guys must have been very tense during the pk's !

chris

I missed the whole QF due to flight and bus connection. I even missed the PK shootout due to "dinner". I slept through the POR-HOL semi final but will probably see the final tonight. I think Portugal with their home field advantage will take revenge on Greece.

Too bad you missed the shootout and all the extra time.

well, that wasn't the greatest final match, but credit to the greek team and their coaching staff. really organized.

loved the fireworks after the macth!

chris

And only 1.5 months to the Olympic Games.. held in Greece! There is a football tourney too, although it doesn't have much of a status and some people would prefer to exclude it alltogether.

The Italian U21 team, unlike e.g. the Swedish one, is qualified for the Olympic tourney, and the rules say that you are allowed to enhance the team with a few older (professional) players. During the POR-HOL game, the Italian TV had a televote whether Totti should be selected for the Italian side, but more than 50% of the voters thought not! :p

Back