• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seeking info on really old main frame

big-train

First computer I ever saw was IBM RAMAC 305 with tubes, plugboard. The disk platters were about 18" in diameter with one read/write arm that moved in/out, up/down for each platter. I am seeking to share memories with anyone else who remembers that old dinosaur.
Walter. :lol: :shock:

:?: Am I really the only one who remembers the old RAMAC 305 :?: It was installed in the fall of 1959. Later replaced with IBM 1401/1410. Does anyone remember those :?: They had transistors and tape drives and each platter of the disk drive had its own r/w arm.

An old fossil.

vic user said:
For that Anders, you should be on the most wanted list by the Pun Police :)

chris

If he's convicted, they'll send him to the pun-a-tentiary.

Tachyon

:roll: F U N N Y :D OK, Anders. I read your posts frequently in comp.sys.cbm. And yes, I have a C-64 and still use it even though I have two PC's that I use for other applications. When Loadstar was still run by Fender Tucker I even sold them a couple of programs.

RE: RAMAC 305: I found the entire specs for the system we had and I am going to organize them into some kind of comprehensible form for myself and the few others who were involved in the project. Even had a picture of our system and I can tentatively identify the operator.

Thanks again for the leads. I will return to this forum from time to time.

Walter.

Back