Microsoft scared of FireFox

• Yes, I do not like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Whats FireFox?

• Total voters
But because Microsoft has made the browser inextricably integrated with Windows, any upgrades will likely have to be delivered through a service pack update to the operating system
And therein lies the crux of the problem. You have an OS that is full of holes, which is inextricably woven together with a browser that is also full of holes. I think what we're going to see in the near future is leading names in certain applications (browsers, operating systems, mail clients, etc.) rather than Microsofts name on almost everything because it comes as one big bundle. Microsoft simply does not make the best browser, so many people will start using another.
Of course they still have Outlook Express :lol: .

The article mentions that "some analysts show Firefox having as much as 20 percent of the market".

Say what!?

That's a claim someone only would make if they're on crack. Personally I think the 5% claim is even too high. I use Firefox, but most users are normal people, not computer nerds like us, and they'll happily (or at least obliviously) use whatever software the computer ships with -- Windows and IE.

I used to work at eWeek and I know the reporter of this story. I'm surprised that he included that ridiculous claim and that it got by the editors.

mobilemaster said:
The article mentions that "some analysts show Firefox having as much as 20 percent of the market".

Say what!?

That's a claim someone only would make if they're on crack. Personally I think the 5% claim is even too high. I use Firefox, but most users are normal people, not computer nerds like us, and they'll happily (or at least obliviously) use whatever software the computer ships with -- Windows and IE.

I would have to agree as i don't know anyone besides me that uses
it, well really i use mozilla but it's pretty much the same thing.
but i do have a copy of FireFox on a Jump/Thumb/Flash (what ever one you like) so i can take it with me.
but of course all the people i know have trouble just making a folder (No joke)
some of them have been using computer since win3.1 and they never seem
to learn anything, calling me night and day about dumb ($#%
Some people dont care how it works as long as it does
Of course not everyone has even heard of firefox or know what it is
so i think thats one of the problems. The people i've shown it too think it's
pretty neat but they are set it there ways and IE is there only thought.

BTW if you insist using IE the only way to make it somewhat safe is
disable java script/applets, active-x. that'll give you some protection
you can also install java's runtime enviroment and have it take over
IE's that should help a little.. or you can just switch.

I don't know how to respond to the poll because, while I haven't tried FireFox, I have used Mozilla extensively. It really is better than IE, but at the moment I'm running IE (I plead laziness -- I install Windose and it's ready to go without any extra effort).

--T

I don't understand the remark about Microsoft deciding to improve their browser due to the threat from other browsers. Software development should be an ongoing process, and has the previous shifts from IE3 to 4 to 5 to 6 solely been provoked by Netscape et.al success?

I've not tried Firefox, but tried recent Mozillas and didn't quite like them. I've also tried Opera, where one of my friends is working, and no matter with or without ads, it doesn't adhere to my tastes either. I've even tried some more obscure ones like Konqueror. IE6 is no way a perfect browser (only that most average people use what comes with the computer, as stated above), but when comparing specs and de-facto standards with reality, I find all browsers to have one flaw or another. Making web pages that strictly follows the specs or even blocking out browsers you don't like maybe works for personal pages, but not if you're trying to offer a service and make money out of the web. I know M$ like to block out their competitors too, so of course it is just as childish whoever does it.

If there will be an IE7 that fully supports CSS2 (or CSS3 even), DOM, effective page layout engine, has strong and clever security methods and is easy to customize to your tastes, it may turn tables and it is the other competitors who get the pressure to keep up. Microsoft is still one of the biggest companies around, and if they find it worth spending money on getting the browser of everyone's choice, I'm sure they'll give it a try.

Heck I ain't finding any holes in my IE. And since I don't really need
another browser to clog up my HD space - what's the point?!?

It's that Outlook you've got to watch out for. It fills your HD with those
huge E-mails everyone sends you - so I stopped using it. And adopted
large e-mails to use my Yahoo (which gives me space to run my proper e-
mails for more legimate use).

Besides IE I encourage people to use Arachne - which will hopefully
encourage the owner to update more frequently.

CP/M User.

I've been using it pretty well since I downloaded it. Works not so great on w98, but works pretty good on win2k so far. I just made the transition to 2k (I must admit, it is actually faster on this machine and the computer works better save for the cd, which I think is going anyway; it won't read sometimes). Since I jsut did a big upgrade on my main machine, I am still test driving a lot of stuff, Firefox being one of them. As far as win95, I like the OffByOne browser since it doesn't choke my little laptops and is fairly stable.

I've been using FireFox for the better part of thisyear now, and I like it ok. The only complaint I have is that I can't get the google toolbar to work properly with it, so I have to keep a copy of IE installed (with toolbar), just for Q&D websearches.

--T

I didn't like FireFox at all. Nothing about it seems very good. I have been loyal to the Mozilla org. though, I have been useing the Mozilla suite for quite the many years..... And I prefer it over anything else. But when it comes right down to it, I would rather use IE than FireFox.

-Vlad

Back